Organize + Energize: The Snowball Effect of Clutter
Tuesday, January 14, 2014
You walk into your office on Monday after a relaxing weekend and the first thing you see are the piles of paper on your desk, on the floor, and exploding out of the filing cabinets and drawers. Your office isn’t aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Maybe there is too much furniture or you aren’t using your office trays in an efficient manner. This visual clutter will immediately change your personality and will set the tone for how the rest of your day or even week will play out.
This visual clutter, whether it is paper or the physical disarray of the office will in turn cause mental clutter. Mental clutter will take up unnecessary space in your head. In the back of your mind, you know you have to tackle an organizing project, but the project seems too overwhelming, so it’s just easier to continue to work the way you’ve been working and nothing gets accomplished. Whether you know it or not, subconsciously this mental clutter will weigh on you. Get rid of the visual clutter and that in turn will release the mental clutter.
An overwhelming problem
Can you see the snowball getting bigger? If you continue to let it grow, it’s going to turn into an avalanche. This mental clutter will cause you to have a lack of focus. You are trying to remember everything you have to do, where you have to be. The piles of paper and disorganization are becoming a distraction for you, which in turn causes you to lose focus.
When you are distracted at work and lose focus, you aren’t as efficient and productive as you could be. You may be losing clients or missing out on important opportunities. Basically, you aren’t running at 100%. You aren’t giving your back end of the business the attention that it deserves.
The clear solution
Set up working organized systems. Once you set up these working organized systems you won’t have to deal with all the aspects of disorganization discussed above. Your daily routine of maintaining your system will become habit which in turn will allow you to become more efficient and productive. You will be able to put all your focus and attention on thriving as a small business.
There are many benefits to being organized. It is proven that you will have more free time, more money, less stress, more energy, and your clients will have more confidence in you. I have seen the transformation happen with my clients. If you are lacking in any of the above, it may be time to make a fresh start and tackle that disorganization once and for all.
Get a handle on your disorganization. Even a big snowball can knock you down hard. Don’t let that snowball turn into that avalanche and bury you alive.
- Organize + Energize: Back To School Family Calendar Ideas
- Organize + Energize: How To Manage All That Paper
- Organize + Energize: 5 Reasons To Use A To-Do List
- Organize + Energize: Clear the Clutter For the Holidays
- Organize + Energize: Organizing Your Holiday Decorations
- Organize + Energize: 5 Simple Ways to Organize Your Email
- Organize + Energize: Dealing With Holiday Stress
- Organize + Energize: Purge Those Files!
- Organize + Energize: 5 Tips For Easier Back To School Shopping
- Organize + Energize: Get It Together In 2014
- Organize + Energize: Simplify the Holiday Season
- Organize + Energize: 5 Ways To Get More Free Time
- Organize + Energize: Get Organized For the Holidays
- Organize + Energize: The Instant Cure For Disorganization
- Organize + Energize: 5 Ways To Organize Your Health Records
- Organize + Energize: Getting Rid Of All That Stuff
- Organize + Energize: Throwing Out Your Wedding Dress
- Organize + Energize: 8 Steps For Organizing Your Home Office
- Organize + Energize: How Much Money Have You Lost?
- Organize + Energize: What’s In Your Kitchen?
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways to Get More Time In Your Day
- Organize + Energize: How To Handle Your Disorganized Teen