Two Abstract Art Exhibits Opening at ArtsWorcester
Tuesday, October 14, 2014
The two exhibits – Conrad Guertin’s The Process of Intuition and Elizabeth Harris’ Spacetime - were made by Massachusetts artists and show off the local talent of skilled abstract artists.
Elizabeth Harris is a new member residing in Andover. Her encaustic works in SpaceTime draw on scientific themes for inspiration, specifically topics in quantum physics. Mixing resin, graphite, and marble dust into the molten beeswax, Harris has built, scribbled, and etched layered surfaces that suggest deep illuminated space.
For The Process of Intuition, Conrad Guertin, of Sutton, used his distinctive and confident color palette on larger canvases than in previous work. Guertin approaches a painting with no preconception of what the finished work will look like, arranging and rearranging shapes, lines, and color until they find their place in the richly-textured composition.
The reception is open and free to the public as are the gallery hours that follow.
Free parking is available in the lots belonging to the Freemasons, at Ionic and Beacon Street. After the opening, the exhibit will run through November 8th. Gallery hours will run Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm, or by appointment.
Related Slideshow: 7 Art Galleries To Visit In Central MA
55 Salisbury Street, Worcester
The Worcester Art Museum, often referred to by its acronym WAM, is the most acclaimed cultural attraction in the city of Worcester. The world famous "classic American museum" contains over 35,000 pieces of artwork spanning over 5,000 years. Currently on display is [remastered]: A reinstallation of the Worcester Art Museum's paintings from the 16th-18th centuries provides a new look at Old Masters.
25 Sagamore Road, Worcester
The Worcester Center for Crafts’ Krikorian Gallery, in conjunction with Worcester State University, is committed to "sustaining craft as a vital part our community" through education, advocacy, and entrepreneurship. They are currently holding its Holiday Festival of Crafts 2013 this weekend.
25 Merriam Parkway, Fitchburg
The Fitchburg Art Museum is one of the cultural treasures of North Central Massachusetts. Though not quite as famous as its cousin to the south, the Worcester Art Museum, the Fitchburg museum still houses an impressive permanent collection of art spanning 5,000 years. Check out their current exhibition: Still Life Lives! - A celebration of the vitality of the still life tradition and its themes of beauty, bounty, darkness, fragility, and fleeting moments, which runs through January 14.
38 Harlow Street, Worcester
The Sprinkler Factory is a unique gem in Downtown Worcester and a true center for all the arts. Once a manufacturing plant, the Sprinkler Factory now provides space for individual artists to form their own studios and contains areas for music, dance, and other fun activities. The massive atrium on the second floor in the middle of the complex is available for local artists to show their work. The public is welcome to browse the artists' studios and galleries. An upcoming exhibition entitled Indoor Games , runs from December 7 through January 25, captures the spirit of creativity during the winter months.
960 Main Street, Fitchburg
Since its opening in 2008 by founders by Ann and Peter Capodagli, the Boulder Art Gallery has been committed to showing original and vintage paintings, photographs, prints and sculptures from the region's most talented artists. A true variety of work from both new and established artists is on display in a multitude of mediums and styles; check out oils, acrylics, watercolors and pastels. Many pieces are also available for purchase.
660 Main Street; 657 Main Street, Worcester
The Aurora Gallery and the “GArtH” Gallery of Art at the Hadley are run by the organization ArtsWorcester, and both show the work of local artists, many of whom are members of the group. For a list of current and upcoming exhibits, click here and here.
44 Portland Street, Worcester
Since its founding in 2006, the Davis Art Gallery has made it its mission to promote the Worcester art community and create awareness of the local creative culture. One of the ways the gallery does this is by showing the work of local artists in a great variety of different mediums. Currently, you can see an exhibit by Emily and Robb Sandagata; Unearthed, which runs through February 7th.
- Architecture and Furniture are Art at New ArtsWorcester Exhibit
- NEW: Anonymous Benefactor Donates $5,000 to ArtsWorcester
- New exhibit to open at ArtsWorcester gallery
- NEW: Tina Zlody named recipient of ArtsWorcester Annual Award
- ArtsWorcester Hosting Two Exciting Exhibits
- ‘Quiet Focus’ Exhibit Brings Unique Photography to ArtsWorcester
- ArtsWorcester Receives $7,500 Donation From Anonymous Benefactor
- Worcester Hosts Global Exhibit - The Art of Disobedience
- Catch Art on the Line With Your WOO Card
- DON’T MISS: Knights! Arms + Armor Exhibit at Worcester Art Museum
- Worcester Art Museum Launches Arms & Armor Demonstrations
- Worcester Art Museum’s Knight Rides “Armor Wrapped” WRTA Bus
- DON’T MISS: Worcester Art Museum’s ‘Holidays at WAM 2013’
- Sturbridge Village to Host Music & Art Weekend
- Exhibition of Iconic ‘Fallen Paintings’ to Open at Worcester Art Museum
- Webster’s Linda Littleton: Teaching and Creating Art for Others
- Don’t Miss: The Sprinkler Factory’s Xmas Art Bazaar on Dec. 15
- DON’T MISS: Flora in Winter at Worcester Art Museum
- Worcester Art Museum Announces Free Admission During August
- Worcester State University to Present Faculty Art Exhibit
- Artist Tory Fair to Speak At Worcester Art Museum
- New Exhibit Perfectly Strange to Debut at Worcester Art Museum
- Worcester Art Museum Begins Construction on New Access Bridge
- Worcester Art Museum to Present Portraits by William Hogarth
- Worcester Art Museum to Celebrate Batman Day
- Culture Vulture: Making Magic—The Art of Gary Lippincott
- 7 Art Galleries To Visit In Central MA
- NEW: Vaillancourt Folk Art Celebrates Fall Season with Open House
- Leominster’s Dana Lane: Combining Art and Business
- Gallery of African Art Appoints New Director
- Worcester Art Museum’s Gay Wedding Promotion Provokes Catholics
- 5 Central Mass. Weekend Musts: Art in The Park + More
- ArtsWorcester Receives $14,400 for Artist Professional Education
- Don’t Miss: 15th Annual ArtsWorcester Biennial Exhibition
- NEW: ArtsWorcester Announces New Material Needs Grant Recipients
- Honee Hess to Receive ArtsWorcester Award
- Westborough’s Janine Schmitt Revels in Freedom of Abstract Art