Veterans Inc. Feeding Homeless Vets During Annual Holiday Harvest
Tuesday, November 20, 2012
Beginning at 10 am, the veteran organization located at 69 Grove Street in Worcester will be handing out "Thanksgiving Dinner Boxes" with all the essential items to prepare a delicious holiday dinner.
"We have over 1,000 veteran families registered in our Food Pantry. On a monthly basis, we serve approximately 750 individuals, about 9,000 per year. Between our Food Pantry and our Hot Meals program, we distributed about 350,000 meals last year," stated Vincent J. Perrone, Lieutenant Colonel, USAF (Retired), Veterans Inc. President and CEO. "These veterans and their family members are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. For those at risk, sometimes it boils down to buying medicine, heating their home, or buying food. We help by providing food. But the need is growing and now more than ever we need the support of the community."
"It is a stunning realization for some, that the world's most powerful country not only has people who are homeless on Thanksgiving, but that 25% of the homeless are veterans," explained Denis Leary, Veterans Inc. Executive Director. "For us, Thanksgiving is a time when we give thanks for the freedom we enjoy and to those who fought for that freedom. We ask everyone to remember the men and women of our Armed Forces who are in harm's way and to thank all veterans for their sacrifice. Veterans Inc. strives to make sure that all veterans have the resources and food needed to make their Thanksgiving a pleasant one."
With the vast numbers of mouths to feed, Veterans Inc. has obviously benefitted from the generosity of the community at large, and thanks Worcester for helping them provide what they believe to be an essential service. If you or someone you know is a veteran in need of food this holiday season, please call 800-482-2565 to register for Veteran Inc.'s food pantry.
- NEW: Warren Supports Executive Order to Protect Vets from School Scams
- NEW: Worcester Homeless Vets To Get Boost From $1.5 Million Awarded to MA
- NEW: $1.5 Million Awarded for Veterans Job Training in MA
- NEW: Mass Vietnam Veterans Memorial to be Rededicated
- NEW: Veterans Inc. to Host Biennial Gala Military Ball this Saturday
- NEW: Website Launched Today Offers Veterans Easy Access to Resources
- GoLocalTV: Brown Rallies Support from Vets in Worcester
- NEW: Central Mass. Vets, Students Getting $3.3M for College