Worcester Art Museum Announces Newest Exhibit Titled “Exploring the Myths of James Dye”
Tuesday, February 27, 2018
“James Dye’s drawings speak to universal themes, such as birth, death, and creation. Accessible to visitors of all ages and backgrounds, his works invite viewers to create their own stories using these intricate and timeless images. We are proud to partner with ArtsWorcester to introduce WAM audiences to this exceptional emerging artist. This is an important expression of our mission to connect people, communities, and culture through the experience of art,” said Matthias Waschek, C. Jean and Miles McDonough Director of the Worcester Art Museum.
The exhibition, titled “Exploring the Myths of James Dye” is set to open on April 7 and will run through September 2. There will be a reception on Thursday, April 19 from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Exploring the Myths of James Dye is co-curated by Nancy Kathryn Burns, the Worcester Art Museum’s associate curator of prints, drawings, and photographs, and Rachael Kane, Moggio Fellow for Diversity in Fine Arts.
The exhibit features 21 dip pen, India ink drawings by the artist, whose meticulously rendered works blend themes from ancient myths with iconography that refers to alchemy, cosmology and the Apocalypse.
Over 25 prints from the Museum’s collection will be exhibited alongside Dye’s drawings, chosen in concert with the artist.
James Dye trained as a printmaker but turned to ink drawings after earning a BFA in 2005 from the Art Institute of Boston at Lesley University. An avid reader all of his life, Dye draws heavily on his rich knowledge of oral and written mythologies—from Fenrir, the Norse wolf, to the Greek demigod Hercules, to the land-beast Behemoth in the Old Testament.
While Dye’s references to literary myth and fable are broad, his iconography shows a distinct tendency toward dystopic visions and fantastic beasts.
- Worcester Art Museum to Host Hassan Hajjaj: My Rock Stars Exhibition this Fall
- Worcester Art Museum to Host Festival of Lanterns
- First U.S. Exhibition of Cyanotype to Be Held at Worcester Art Museum
- Worcester Art Museum Names Bafaro Jr. President of Board
- Worcester Art Museum to Trace Trajectory of Cyanotype in Major U.S. Exhibition
- Star Wars Day Coming to Worcester Art Museum
- ‘Lunch Lady’ Author to Hold Online Auction for Worcester Art Museum
- Exhibition of Iconic ‘Fallen Paintings’ to Open at Worcester Art Museum
- Images of Child Soldiers in Africa Come to Worcester Art Museum
- Worcester Art Museum to Celebrate Dia de los Muertos on Nov 1
- Worcester Art Museum to Present Reflections on Rockwell
- Worcester Art Museum Set to Host Winter Classes
- 10 to Watch in 2016: Joe Bafaro Jr., Worcester Art Museum
- 50 Central MA Residents to Become US Citizens in Ceremony at Worcester Art Museum
- Worcester Art Museum Names Gibbs President of Board of Trustees
- Worcester Art Museum to Host Four Major Exhibitions Starting in May
- Worcester Art Museum Names Earley Director of Advancement
- Worcester Art Museum to Host Interactive Public Art Performance Titled “Organic Concept”
- Worcester Art Museum Opening Exhibit Focused on Artist Emberley
- Worcester Art Museum Medieval Holiday Celebration
- Worcester Art Museum to Host Flora in Winter From January 28-31
- Worcester Art Museum to Host Workshops For Kids During February Break
- Worcester Art Museum to Bring Back “Free August” Program
- Worcester Art Museum Announces Cats-in-Residence Program
- Worcester Art Museum to Offer Free Admission in August