Worcester Art Museum Launches Arms & Armor Demonstrations
Saturday, May 03, 2014
Kicking off the series this Sunday, the first drop-in demonstration will introduce visitors to the basics of arms and armor to examine the successes and downfalls of these ancient objects of warfare.
WAM is continuing to bring to life arms and armor this summer with the launch of a series of sword fighting classes. Instruction will range from introductory to more advanced techniques for adults, teens and youth. Please check the program webpage for updates.
Related Slideshow: 7 Art Galleries To Visit In Central MA
55 Salisbury Street, Worcester
The Worcester Art Museum, often referred to by its acronym WAM, is the most acclaimed cultural attraction in the city of Worcester. The world famous "classic American museum" contains over 35,000 pieces of artwork spanning over 5,000 years. Currently on display is [remastered]: A reinstallation of the Worcester Art Museum's paintings from the 16th-18th centuries provides a new look at Old Masters.
25 Sagamore Road, Worcester
The Worcester Center for Crafts’ Krikorian Gallery, in conjunction with Worcester State University, is committed to "sustaining craft as a vital part our community" through education, advocacy, and entrepreneurship. They are currently holding its Holiday Festival of Crafts 2013 this weekend.
25 Merriam Parkway, Fitchburg
The Fitchburg Art Museum is one of the cultural treasures of North Central Massachusetts. Though not quite as famous as its cousin to the south, the Worcester Art Museum, the Fitchburg museum still houses an impressive permanent collection of art spanning 5,000 years. Check out their current exhibition: Still Life Lives! - A celebration of the vitality of the still life tradition and its themes of beauty, bounty, darkness, fragility, and fleeting moments, which runs through January 14.
38 Harlow Street, Worcester
The Sprinkler Factory is a unique gem in Downtown Worcester and a true center for all the arts. Once a manufacturing plant, the Sprinkler Factory now provides space for individual artists to form their own studios and contains areas for music, dance, and other fun activities. The massive atrium on the second floor in the middle of the complex is available for local artists to show their work. The public is welcome to browse the artists' studios and galleries. An upcoming exhibition entitled Indoor Games , runs from December 7 through January 25, captures the spirit of creativity during the winter months.
960 Main Street, Fitchburg
Since its opening in 2008 by founders by Ann and Peter Capodagli, the Boulder Art Gallery has been committed to showing original and vintage paintings, photographs, prints and sculptures from the region's most talented artists. A true variety of work from both new and established artists is on display in a multitude of mediums and styles; check out oils, acrylics, watercolors and pastels. Many pieces are also available for purchase.
660 Main Street; 657 Main Street, Worcester
The Aurora Gallery and the “GArtH” Gallery of Art at the Hadley are run by the organization ArtsWorcester, and both show the work of local artists, many of whom are members of the group. For a list of current and upcoming exhibits, click here and here.
44 Portland Street, Worcester
Since its founding in 2006, the Davis Art Gallery has made it its mission to promote the Worcester art community and create awareness of the local creative culture. One of the ways the gallery does this is by showing the work of local artists in a great variety of different mediums. Currently, you can see an exhibit by Emily and Robb Sandagata; Unearthed, which runs through February 7th.
- DON’T MISS: Knights! Arms + Armor Exhibit at Worcester Art Museum
- Worcester Art Museum Celebrating the 60’s
- Black History Celebrated: Julien Hudson at WAM
- NEW: Higgins Armory to Close, Transfer Collection to Worcester Art Museum
- Worcester Art Museum Hosts Rosenstock Book
- Catch Remastered Party at WAM With Your WOO Card
- NEW: Worcester Art Museum Awarded Grant to Restore Famous Portraits
- Worcester Art Museum Rolls Out Spring Lineup
- DON’T MISS: Worcester Art Museum’s ‘Holidays at WAM 2013’
- NEW: Worcester Art Museum Names New Director of Development
- Worcester Art Museum to Host World-Wide Comic Competition
- REdesign Workshop at WAM to Discuss Future of Libraries
- NEW: Worcester Art Museum to Host Former White House Chief Photographer
- Worcester Art Museum’s Gay Wedding Promotion Provokes Catholics
- Travel Back to the Middle Ages at WAM’s Family Day This Weekend
- Ten Things You Don’t Know About Worcester Art Museum
- Worcester Art Museum’s Waschek Moves Aggressively Into New Era
- WAM to Showcase the Work of Georges Rouault this Month
- Trender: Worcester Art Museum Director: Matthias Waschek
- DON’T MISS: Flora in Winter at Worcester Art Museum
- Worcester Art Museum Awards Five Kinnicutt Grants to Worcester Residents