Worcester Art Museum Library to Close for Upgrades
Wednesday, February 06, 2019
The upgrades involve a collection reclassification and automation project.
“The WAM library is an incredibly valuable resource for the Museum staff, as well as for teachers, scholars, students, collectors, and anyone interested in art history. Having a single standard classification system will make the library’s collection more accessible for everyone, and automation will make managing the library’s collection much more efficient,” said Head Librarian Rebecca Morin.
When the library reopens, the entire collection of 60,000 volumes will be classified under the Library of Congress Classification system.
In addition, a library management system will be installed to track library materials, gather data about the collection, and automate the circulation process. While the library is closed, materials will not be readily accessible; however, patrons may contact a librarian with questions.
History in the Library
The library’s current holdings include: 60,000 books (including the John Woodman Higgins Armory library), 18,000 auction catalogs dating back to 1876, 10,000 artist files, and archived holdings of over 300 art periodicals. In addition to these resources, the library has access to numerous online databases, including ARTSTOR, JSTOR, and Grove Art Online. The reading room houses the library reference collection, frequently used monographs, WAM publications, and recent art journals.
- Worcester Art Museum Names Gibbs President of Board of Trustees
- Worcester Art Museum Opening Exhibit Focused on Artist Emberley
- 50 Central MA Residents to Become US Citizens in Ceremony at Worcester Art Museum
- Worcester Art Museum to Host Four Major Exhibitions Starting in May
- Worcester Art Museum Names Earley Director of Advancement
- Worcester Art Museum Medieval Holiday Celebration
- Worcester Art Museum Announces Cats-in-Residence Program
- Worcester Art Museum to Host Flora in Winter From January 28-31
- Worcester Art Museum to Host Workshops For Kids During February Break
- Worcester Arts Council Announces MCC Gold Star to N-CITE
- Worcester Art Museum to Bring Back “Free August” Program
- Worcester Art Museum to Host Interactive Public Art Performance Titled “Organic Concept”
- Worcester Art Museum to Offer Free Admission in August
- Worcester Art Museum to Host Annual Fall Community Day
- Worcester Art Museum Names Weir Director of Education & Experience
- Worcester Art Museum Names 3 New Board Members
- Worcester Art Museum Exhibit to Explore Monet’s Waterloo Bridge Painting
- Worcester Art Museum Announces Return of Flora in Winter
- 2 Vietnam Artists to do Residency at Worcester Art Museum