Worcester Named One of America’s Top Cities for St. Patrick’s Day Celebrations
Friday, March 10, 2017
According to a recent study completed by WalletHub, Worcester is the fifth best city in the U.S. for St. Patrick’s Day celebrations.
“Believe it or not, the first ever St. Patrick’s Day parade didn’t take place in Ireland. Its roots are actually in the U.S., though some say Boston while others claim New York. Regardless, what began as a parade in the 18th Century is today one of America’s biggest cultural holidays. Nearly 33 million people in the U.S. claim Irish ancestry, after all. That’s more than the entire population of Ireland itself. As this lucky group of people expanded over the centuries, so too did American St. Paddy’s Day traditions,” said WalletHub.
Worcester is ranked 8th for St. Patrick’s Day traditions, 48th for costs, 37th for safety and accessibility and 99th for St. Patrick’s Day Weather.
According to the study, Worcester also has the fourth highest percentage of Irish population.
The Worcester St. Patrick's Day Parade is scheduled for Sunday, March 12. The start time is scheduled for noon.
The top five cities are:
1. Buffalo, New York
2. Madison, Wisconsin
3. Boston, Massachusetts
4. Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5. Worcester, Massachusetts
Palmdale, California is ranked as the worst city for St. Patrick’s Day celebrations.
Seet the Full Rankings Below
In order to determine the best places to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, WalletHub’s analysts compared 200 of the most populated U.S. cities across four key dimensions: 1) St. Patrick’s Day Traditions, 2) Costs, 3) Safety & Accessibility and 4) St. Patrick’s Day Weather.
They evaluated those dimensions using 16 relevant metrics. Each metric was graded on a 100-point scale, with a score of 100 representing the best conditions for celebrating the holiday.
They then calculated the overall score for each city based on its weighted average across all metrics and used the resulting scores to construct the final ranking.
St. Patrick’s Day Traditions – Total Points: 50
- St. Patrick’s Day Parades: Full Weight (~4.55 Points)
- Time Since the First Parade: Full Weight (~4.55 Points)
- St. Patrick’s Day Parties & Festivals per Capita: Full Weight (~4.55 Points)
- Share of Irish Population: Triple Weight (~13.64 Points)
- Irish Pubs & Restaurants per Capita: Triple Weight (~13.64 Points)
- “Access to Bars” Grade: Full Weight (~4.55 Points)
- Number of St. Patrick’s Day-Themed Races: Full Weight (~4.55 Points)
Costs – Total Points: 20
- Average Price for St. Patrick’s Day Party Ticket: Full Weight (~4.00 Points)
- Average Beer Price: Triple Weight (~12.00 Points)
- Lowest Price of a Three-Star Hotel on St. Patrick’s Day: Full Weight (~4.00 Points)
Safety & Accessibility – Total Points: 20
- Crime Rate: Full Weight (~5.00 Points)
- DUI-Related Fatal Incidents per Capita: Full Weight (~5.00 Points)
- Traffic Congestion: Full Weight (~5.00 Points)
- Walkability: Full Weight (~5.00 Points)
St. Patrick’s Day Weather – Total Points: 10
- Forecasted vs. Average Temperature for St. Patrick’s Day: Full Weight (~5.00 Points)
- Forecasted Precipitations for St. Patrick’s Day: Full Weight (~5.00 Points)
Video Wall PHOTO: Heartlover1717/flickr
- The Most and Least Obese Cities in New England: See Where Worcester Ranks
- Worcester Ranks 4th Best City to Start a Family
- See Where Worcester Ranks for Snowfall in US
- See How Worcester Ranks for Singles
- See How Worcester Ranks for 1st Time Home Buyers
- Worcester Ranks As One of the Worst Cities to Raise Children
- Worcester Ranks #1 Nationally for Health Care Access
- Worcester Ranks in Top 20 Strongest Metro Areas
- NEW: Worcester Ranks #1 in Traffic Study
- NEW: Worcester Ranks #319 on Safest Cities List, Beats Boston
- Worcester Ranks 18th in US for Sweet Tooths
- Worcester Ranks High on Places with the Highest Cost of Living
- See Where Worcester Ranks as a College Town?
- Worcester Ranks Among Worst Places in US to Find a Job
- See Where Worcester Ranks Among Cities Recovering From the Recession
- See Where Worcester Ranks for STEM Professionals
- Worcester Ranks as One of Worst Real Estate Markets in U.S.
- Worcester Ranks Near the Bottom for Soccer Fans
- Worcester Ranks Poorly for Single Moms
- Worcester Ranks as One of Worst Cities for Hispanic Entrepreneurs in U.S.
- Worcester Ranks at Bottom of National List for Summer Travel Destination
- Worcester Ranks Poorly for Staycations
- See Where Worcester Ranks Among Healthiest Cities in the U.S.