13-Year-Old Worcester Boy Dies After Being Pulled from Bell Pond
Friday, July 06, 2018
This investigation is ongoing.
The name of the teen will not be released until all proper notifications have been made to the family.
On Wednesday, July 4, at approximately 8:09 p.m., Worcester Police responded to Bell Pond for a report of a distressed swimmer. Upon the officers arrival he saw several people on the beach yelling that there was a boy missing in the water. The officer also saw several people in the water frantically looking for the missing boy.
The officer entered the water and formed a water line search with people that were there. Together they searched but could not locate the boy.
Worcester Fire Scuba Team arrived and located the boy within three and a half minutes. The boy was found in 12 feet of water approximately 69 feet from shore. Immediate life support measures were conducted on the boy, it was estimated that he was under water for approximately 15 minutes. The boy was rushed to nearby U-Mass Medical Center. A pulse was restored and the boy began to breath.
Worcester Police detectives responded to the scene and conducted an investigation. Detectives learned that there were four lifeguards working at the beach during the day but ended their shift at 7:00 p.m. Prior to leaving, signs were posted that the beach was closed for the remainder of the day. In addition to posting the signs, lifeguards remove all persons in the water and explain that the beach is closed.
Detectives interviewed several witnesses and secured the scene while members of the Crime Scene Unit documented the area.
On July 5, 2018, at approximately 3:30 a.m. detectives were informed that the boy had passed away.
The boy was pronounced deceased at 2:50 AM.
- Worcester Police to Launch Mounted Patrol Unit
- Worcester Police Arrest Two for Trafficking Drugs Near Lincoln Plaza
- Two Arrested After Worcester Police Find Remains of Newborn Baby on Lake Ave
- Worcester Police Arrest Man That Robbed Honey Farms With Syringe
- Worcester Police to Promote two Officers During Ceremony on Friday
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Grafton Street Walgreens
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Attempted to Break Into Muslim School - Alhuda Academy
- Worcester Police to Swear in 8 New Officers on Friday
- Worcester Police to Honor Memory of 15 Officers During Ceremony on Sunday
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Suspect in Metro PCS Armed Robbery
- Worcester Police Department Recognized With Above & Beyond Award
- Worcester Police Department to Promote 5 During Ceremony
- Woman Arrested for OUI After Crashing Into Parked Worcester Police Cruiser
- Worcester Police in Search of Suspect Involved in Carjacking in Upland Gardens
- Worcester Police Investigating Shooting on Suffield Street
- Worcester Police Investigating Crash Involving Dirt Bike & Car
- Worcester Police to Honor Memory of 9 Officers During Annual Memorial Ceremony
- Worcester Police in Search of 2nd Suspect Following Armed Robbery on Belmont St.
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Paulino’s Market Armed With Gun
- Worcester Police Offer Tips for Halloween Safety
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Sally Beauty Supply
- Wal-Mart Shoplifter Steals Worcester Police Officer’s Pepper Spray, Tries to Spray Him