7 People Arrested Inside Worcester Apartment for Drug Possession
Wednesday, March 14, 2018
The target of the search warrant, Ruben Melendez, was arrested and charged with Possession of a Class B Substance (crack cocaine) with the Intent to Distribute, and Possession of Class A Substance (heroin) with the Intent to Distribute.
Melendez was also additionally charged with Resisting Arrest.
Six other people including Frankie Galarza, Emmanuel Torres, Javier Mercado, and Brian Rodriguez were charged with the same crimes.
On Monday, March 12, members of the Worcester Police Vice Squad possessed a search warrant for 1038 Main Street, apt. 1-R. The named target of the search warrant was Melendez, 35-years-old of the Main Street address.
Prior to the execution of the warrant, members of the Vice Squad set up surveillance around the address. At approximately 10:30 AM, officers observed two males exit the apartment building and enter Melendez’s Honda. The men were later identified as Brian Rodriguez, 25-years-old of the Main Street apartment and Emmanuel Torres, 31-years-old, also of the same Main Street apartment.
The Honda was seen driving north on Main Street and enter the nearby McDonalds parking lot. Officers approached the Honda and observed Torres attempt to tuck something into the center console of the vehicle. Both men were removed from the vehicle. A search of the center console produced a cigar wrapper that contained 4 separate plastic bags that contained crack cocaine and an additional 17 small plastic baggies that contained heroin. Both men were placed under arrest. A search of Torres produced another cigar wrapper which contained 8 small plastic baggies of crack cocaine.
At the same time that Torres and Rodriguez were placed under arrest, other members of the Vice Squad, with the assistance of members of the Massachusetts State Police Drug Unit, executed the search warrant.
Upon entry into the apartment, officers made contact with the target, Ruben Melendez. Melendez was attempting to hide in his bed and refused numerous commands for him to show his hands. Melendez resisted the officers attempt to be placed under arrest. One of the officers had to deploy their tazer and finally Melendez complied.
The initial sweep of the apartment located three more individuals; they were identified as Javier Mercado, 44-years-old of the Main Street apartment, Brittany Drake, 27-years-old of 85 Moreland Green Drive and Frankie Galarza, 50-years-old of 1041 Main Street.
Torres and Rodriguez were transported back to the apartment and all persons within were explained the search warrant process and read their Maranda rights.
A search of the apartment produced $1,198 in cash, packaging materials, 14 separate plastic bags that contained heroin, 6 separate bags that contained crack cocaine, and 9 suboxone strips.
Officers found out that another vacant apartment within the building was being accessed by Galarza. The landlord gave the officers permission to search the vacant apartment. That search produced an additional two more plastic bags that contained class A substance (heroin).
While searching the apartment two individuals knocked on the front door. One of the officers answered the door and met with an elderly woman, later identified as Blanca Diez, 81-years-old of Bluff Street and a 42-year-old man.
The officer observed a large pill bottle protruding from Diez’s bra area. The officer asked Diez if she could remove the pill bottle. Diez complied. The officer looked in the bottle and observed approximately 72 oxycodone pills inside.
Diez was placed under arrest and charged with Trafficking in Class B Substance (18-36 grams).
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Suspect in Metro PCS Armed Robbery
- Worcester Police to Honor Memory of 15 Officers During Ceremony on Sunday
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Grafton Street Walgreens
- Worcester Police to Promote two Officers During Ceremony on Friday
- Worcester Police Arrest Two for Trafficking Drugs Near Lincoln Plaza
- Worcester Police to Swear in 8 New Officers on Friday
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Attempted to Break Into Muslim School - Alhuda Academy
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Involved in Robbery of CVS
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Two Credit Card Skimmer Suspects
- Worcester Man Arrested for Drunk Driving After Hitting Worcester Police Car
- Worcester Police Promote 7 New Sergeants
- Worcester Police to Launch Mounted Patrol Unit
- Two Arrested After Worcester Police Find Remains of Newborn Baby on Lake Ave
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Country Bank
- Wal-Mart Shoplifter Steals Worcester Police Officer’s Pepper Spray, Tries to Spray Him
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Paulino’s Market Armed With Gun
- Worcester Police in Search of 2nd Suspect Following Armed Robbery on Belmont St.
- Worcester Police in Search of Suspect Involved in Carjacking in Upland Gardens
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Sally Beauty Supply
- Worcester Police Offer Tips for Halloween Safety
- Worcester Police Arrest Man That Robbed Honey Farms With Syringe
- Worcester Police Department Recognized With Above & Beyond Award
- Worcester Police Department to Promote 5 During Ceremony
- Woman Arrested for OUI After Crashing Into Parked Worcester Police Cruiser