Assumption Introduces Certificate in Substance Abuse Counseling
Saturday, October 19, 2013
“The Assumption College program appears to be a very integrated program, combining both issues in addictions, addiction counseling, psychiatric disabilities, as well as issues related to co-occurring disorders. This, I think, makes the program of study quite unique in its scope,” said Jacquelyn Cummins, executive director of the Massachusetts Board of Substance Abuse Counseling Certification.
The program, which has been approved by National Certification Commission for Addiction Professionals, will prepare students for the state Certified Alcohol/Drug Abuse Counselor exam and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health for Licensure of Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADCII and LADC Assistant).
A Growing Job Market
"This program provides practical training that takes students on a direct path to an entry level job as a counselor,” said Dennis Braun, CCE program director at Assumption College.
“It's a distinct advantage for new counselors to have training and experience in substance abuse counseling because drug and alcohol dependency is a condition that factors into almost every other form of counseling,” he said. “Our graduates will be able to draw upon this work as foundational expertise no matter which direction their counselor career takes."
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of substance abuse and behavioral disorder counselors is expected to grow 27% overall by 2020, and 44% in residential treatment facilities by 2020.
"We are getting a lot of interest in the program, the feedback has been very positive,” said Braun. “The program has been well received by the industry and will be of great benefit to Central Massachusetts.”
The certificate program can be combined with CCE’s Bachelor of Arts in Human Services and Rehabilitation Sciences with a concentration in Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counseling. All the credits earned in the certificate program can be applied toward a bachelor’s degree program.
- Massachusetts Drug Overdose Deaths Up 47% Since 1999
- Assumption Hosts State Science Competition
- Assumption Joins World Youth Day 2013 in Brazil
- Assumption to Host Renowned Religious Speaker
- Assumption’s Haag Looking to Land a Spot In Pro Football
- BREAKING: Assumption Student Who Supported Norway Killer No Longer On Campus
- Count Us In: Assumption Students Partner With Worcester Housing Group
- Grace Kelly Quintet Brings a Taste of Jazz to Assumption College
- International Outrage Sparked By Assumption Student
- NEW: Assumption Appoints Director of Public Safety, Police Chief
- NEW: Assumption College Opens Rome Campus
- NEW: Assumption College Students Awarded Fulbright Scholarships
- NEW: Assumption Names 2013 Commencement Speaker
- NEW: Assumption Names New VP for Institutional Advancement
- NEW: Assumption Student Proclaims Support for Norway Mass Murderer
- NEW: Guilfoyle Named Assumption’s Exec. Director of Communications
- Shane Keddy Makes Mark at Assumption
- Stained Glass Windows at Assumption Honor 1953 Tornado Victims
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.