Healey Wins MA Attorney General in Dominant Fashion
Tuesday, September 09, 2014
After 72-percent of precincts reported results in, Healey has a 24-percent lead over Tolman, leading 62-percent to Tolman’s 38-percent.
“I have tremendous respect for Maura,” said Tolman. “I pledge my support for her.”
Despite outspending Healey by almost $450,000, Tolman still couldn’t overtake his Democratic competition. Healey’s campaign manager Mike Firestone attributed the win to a wealth of LGBT support, a real grassroots effort, and that she gave progressives and women a reason to come out and vote.
While the two candidates for Attorney General agreed on a variety of topics like strengthening gun laws and preventing sexual assault, Tolman and Healey focused on different aspects of the issues, in an effort to differential themselves from each other.
Tolman may more name recognition as a former State Senator, but Healey has also served as an assistant Attorney General and has a much more interesting back story as being an openly gay woman who helped to spearhead the state’s challenge to the federal Defense of Marriage Act. She was also a professional women’s basketball player in Europe and took a big pay cut when she became assistant Attorney General.
Tolman and his advertising campaign have focused largely on mandating smart gun technology in the state of Massachusetts while Healey has focused more on equal rights for the citizens of Massachusetts.
- Tolman Receives Endorsements From 4 Former MA Attorney Generals
- O’Brien Endorses Tolman for Massachusetts Attorney General
- NEW: Warren Tolman Announces Campaign For MA Attorney General
- New Patients Face Long Waits for Primary Care in Worcester
- Which Republican Will You Vote For in the US Senate Primary Election?
- NEW: Gabriel Gomez Projected Winner of GOP US Senate Primary
- NEW: Ed Markey Projected Winner of Democratic US Senate Primary
- NEW: Markey and Lynch Reach Agreement on Senate Primary Debates
- NEW: UMass Med Ranked #9 in Primary Care Education by U.S. News & World Report
- Experts Make Predictions on Primary Outcomes
- UMass Medical School Ranked 5th in US for Primary Care
- MA Primary Predictions: Political Experts Weigh In
- State Officials Expecting Low Voter Turnout for MA Primary
- Donahue - Petty Staffer Wins Democratic Primary for 16th
- NEW: Donahue Wins Worcester 16th District State Rep Dem. Primary
- Which Democrat Will You Vote For in the US Senate Primary Election?
- If Patrick Becomes US Attorney General - See How the Cards Fall
- NEW: Attorney General Wants $1 Billion for Crime Victims
- State Council of the SEIU endorses Tolman for Attorney General
- Everything You Need to Know for Primary Day
- Primary Voter’s Guide
- Mass Primary Results
- GoLocalTV Thursday, September 7, 2012: Mary Keefe on Her Primary Win
- Mathew Helman: Stephen Lynch’s Convictions Wilt in Democratic Primary
- Winner of Dem Primary Could Decide Direction of 15th District
- Which Candidate Spent The Most This Primary Season?
- NEW: Voter Registration Deadline is Friday for State Primary
- Democratic Hopefuls Answer to Voters Ahead of Primary
- Grace Ross: Primary Voting is a Must
- Tolman Debuts First Television Ad in Campaign for Attorney General
- Gov. Patrick Endorses Tolman for MA Attorney General
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Maura Healey: Candidate for Attorney General
- MA Attorney General Race Deadlocked Heading Toward Primary
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Warren Tolman: Candidate for Attorney General