Baker Announces $12 Million in Federal Funding to Speed Up Deployment of Electric Cars
Wednesday, December 28, 2016
The announcement came on Tuesday.
“The innovative test drive initiative funded by the program is proven to help shape consumer perceptions of driving electric and how easy it is to make the switch away from petroleum to make our environment cleaner. The continuation of Mass Drive Clean federal funding will leverage our successful experience in the Commonwealth with that of our fellow New England states towards a collaborative effort to promote the positive impacts of zero emissions vehicles,” said Energy and Environmental Affairs Secretary Matthew Beaton.
Mass Drive Clean
Mass Drive Clean is a pilot program funded through a DOE grant in 2015 that resulted in more than 650 drivers and passengers test driving one or more electric vehicles at employer sponsored and public events. The program was continued this year with over 1000 test drives to date.
“Mass Drives Clean proves that by giving consumers the firsthand experience of operating an electric, they are much more likely to purchase a vehicle and help take a traditional vehicle off the road. The increased adoption of electric vehicles is a vital component of Massachusetts reducing emissions to meet our targets under the Global Warming Solutions Act,” said Department of Energy Resources Commissioner Judith Judson.
The drives are a way for drivers to get behind the wheel of multiple makes and models of clean vehicles. Each driver is surveyed before and after driving, with 83% saying that their overall opinion of a ZEV is better than before their test drive and 68% said that they were more likely to purchase one now that they had experienced the performance of the cars.
DOE selected Plug in America and Clean Cities programs in Massachusetts, as well as in Connecticut, Rhode Island and Vermont, to provide funding for continued public, workplace and fleet events over the next two years.
Related Slideshow: The 10 Most Stolen Cars in Massachusetts
- Charlie Baker is the Most Popular Governor in America - New Poll
- Baker Announces $100 Million MassHousing Fund Aimed at Workforce Housing
- Gov. Baker Launches Campaign Urging People to Call 911 During Overdose
- Baker Says to “Remember, Appreciate, & Honor the Sacrifice” on Memorial Day
- Gov Baker Said He Now Supports Transgender Legislation
- Trump Wins 5 More States, What Does Governor Baker Do?
- Gov. Baker Signs Solar Legislation Into Law
- Baker Speaks About Importance of New Opioid Legislation
- Gov. Baker Receives Support for Hydropower Legislation
- 3 Former Energy Secretaries Endorse Baker’s Hydropower Legislation
- Freedom Massachusetts Releases Statement in Strong Support of Gov. Baker
- Baker Nominates Three to Supreme Judicial Court
- Baker Files Legislation Calling for Increased Penalties for Assaulting Police Officers
- Baker Names Former Worcester City Manager to UMASS Trustees
- Baker, MassTech Sign Cybersecurity Agreement With Israel’s Cyberspark
- Gov. Baker Welcomes 5 New Southcoast Employers to MA [email protected] Program
- Gov. Baker Honors Veterans During Ceremony at State House
- Baker Re-Opens Supreme Judicial Court Nominating Process for Two 2017 Vacancies
- Gov. Baker Nominates Assumption Alum Lemire to MA Appeals Court
- Lyft Urges Gov. Baker to Sign Ride-Sharing Legislation into Law
- Baker Awards QCC Nearly Half a Million to Expand Lab Capacity, Train Unemployed & Under-Employed
- Baker Announces Changes to State Regulations to Improve Lives of Shelter Animals
- Baker Announces Delegation for Israeli Economic Development Mission
- MA Dem Party Chair Calls for Baker to Restore Cuts