Black Friday Sets New Record for Gun Background Checks
Thursday, December 03, 2015
The FBI reported that it processed about to background checks per second on Black Friday. That’s a total of 185,345 background checks. That figure broke the previous record, set on December 21, 2012 roughly a week after the Sandy Hook Elementary mass shooting in Newtown, Connecticut.
GoLocal teamed up with Graphiq for this look at gun rights vs. gun control support over time and gun laws by state.
Related Slideshow: The Influence of Gun Money in New England States
New Data from The Sunlight Foundation shows state-by-state breakdowns for donations to groups on both sides of the gun debate. The money went toward candidates, political parties, and political action committees (PACs), but doesn't include donations to independent or so-called “super PACs”.
See how much money went to candidates in each of the New England States in the slides below.
- Three Arrested for Threatening Driver with Pellet Gun in Traffic
- Water St. Shooting: Further Proof that Gun Violence Trend Continues in Worcester
- NEW: Gun Found in Locker at Worcester’s Burncoat High
- EXCLUSIVE: Boone Didn’t Contact Burncoat Principal After Gun Incident
- UPDATE: Reports of Gun Shots Near Burncoat High School
- Worcester Man Arrested for Holding Victim at Gunpoint During Domestic Dispute
- WPD Arrest Man in Pajamas for Waving Replica Gun During Parking Dispute
- Tolman Applauds Passage of Gun Bill
- MA Gun Rights Group Snubbed at Gun Bill Signing
- Teens and Firearms: Worcester’s Growing Gun Problem
- ‘Goods for Guns’ Program Rewards Disposal of Firearms
- Worcester to Hold Gun Buyback This Saturday
- Giorgio: Guns, Hatred & Forgiveness
- Worcester Man Charged After Pointing Gun at Mother and Baby
- These Are the States with the Most Gun Violence
- Worcester Couple Threatened with Knife and Gun
- The Disconnect Between Gun Deaths and Mental Health
- Cab Driver Robbed at Gun Point on Salford Street
- Fecteau: Until We Act on Gun Violence, Expect More Ungodly Death
- Fagundez Makes History as Revs Win 1-0 Over Philly
- Fitchburg Man Gets 7 Years in Prison on Federal Drug and Gun Charges
- Fecteau: Guns are the Problem
- Worcester Police Seize Cocaine and Sawed-Off Shotgun from Cambridge St. Home
- Three Teens Arrested on Firearm Charges After Worcester Police Seize Gun
- Male Victim Wounded After Gunshots Fired on Wall Street