Clark Professor Michaels to Receive Lifetime Achievement Award
Monday, April 02, 2018
The award is presented to a researcher in recognition of contributions to social contexts in education research.
“I am deeply humbled and honored by this award. I will do everything in my power to pay it forward in all I do with students, teachers, and colleagues -- to live up to the commitment to equity and social justice that Division G -- Social Context in Education -- stands for,” said Michaels.
She will receive the award at the 2018 AERA Annual meeting in April.
Prior to coming to Clark in 1990, Michaels served as director of the Literacies Institute in Newton, which was funded by the Mellon Foundation, and directed projects on language and schooling while serving as a research associate and instructor at the Harvard Graduate School of Education.
Michaels co-authored an award-winning book, “Ready, Set, Science!: Putting Research to Work in the K-8 Science Classroom,” for the National Research Council and co-authored a CD-ROM suite of tools, Accountable Talk: Classroom Conversation that Work, which has been used in large urban districts throughout the country.
Michaels is the founding director of Clark’s Hiatt Center for Urban Education; she also helped found two interdisciplinary majors, Cultural Studies and Communication (CSAC) and Community, Youth, and Education Studies (CYES), the latter of which has been recognized by the Association of American Colleges & Universities (AAC&U) as a “Civic Responsibility by Design” model in education. Professor Michaels is also affiliated with Clark’s programs in Communication and Culture and Urban Development and Social Change.
Since 2013, Professor Michaels has been a part of a national research, design, and implementation effort to introduce the Next Generation Science Exemplar (NGSX), a web-based resource for teacher education and professional development for K-12 science educators.
- Clark University Poll Finds Millennials Love Being Parents
- Clark University Discussion to Feature Best-Selling Author Bohjalian
- Sex, Politics, and Putin: Clark University Professor’s New Book
- Clark University to Host MLK Day Discussion Panel
- Clark University to Hold First Annual Week of Happiness
- Clark University Ranked as a Top “Best Bang for The Buck” College
- Pulitzer Prize-Winning Author Junot Diaz to Give President’s Lecture at Clark University
- Central MA College Standout: Clark University’s Timothy Conley
- Central MA College Standout: Clark University’s Daniel Padilla
- Clark University Receives $1.45 Million from the John Templeton Foundation
- Clark University Study Finds LGB Parents and Their Children Functioning Well
- Clark University to Hold Book and Author Dinner
- Clark University to Break Ground on Alumni and Student Center
- MA State Auditor Bump to Speak at Clark University
- Tom Petty Biographer Warren Zanes to Host Talk at Clark University
- Harvard Sociologist Desmond to Speak at Clark University
- Woman Nearly Robbed in Clark University Parking Garage
- Cartoonists Sturm & Brown to Give Lecture at Clark University