Clark to Host 4th International Conference for Students of Holocaust & Genocide Studies
Friday, April 06, 2018
“The commitment to training PhD students in the history of genocide and mass violence is a hallmark of the Straggler Center program,” said Thomas Kühne, professor of Holocaust history and director of the Strassler Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies, and organizer of “Fourth International Graduate Student Conference on Holocaust and Genocide Studies.”
The conference will run from Thursday, April 12 through Sunday, April 15 in the Higgins Lounge at Dana Commons.
The conference will begin with a keynote lecture by human rights activist Victoria Sanford.
The lecture titled, “Anthropological Methods for Documenting Human Rights Violations and Genocide,” will take place on Thursday, April 12 at 7:30 p.m.
Sanford is founding director of the Center for Human Rights and Peace Studies at Lehman College of the City University of New York; her work examines post-conflict Central America and Colombia with a focus on gender violence, genocide, and the role of truth commissions and NGOs in community healing and local peacebuilding.
She will discuss the theory and practice of forensic exhumations, victim identification, archival and testimonial research and their interplay in legal processes and community desires for justice.
Along with Sanford’s lecture, the conference will include eleven sessions (closed to the public) during which more than two dozen Holocaust scholars from nine countries will present their research on topics such as the genocide in Argentina, Women and genocide studies, and genocide in the present to fellow PhD students, senior scholars and members of the Clark community.
- Clark U Awarded $620,000 Grant from Mellon Foundation
- MERGE for Equality to Host Healthy Men & Boys Summit on June 15 at Clark U
- Clark University to Host Lecture Focusing on Immigration Law
- Clark U Launches School of Professional Studies
- Clark U to Host Discussion on the History of Atlantic Slave Trade
- Clark U. to Host Screening of Domingo Guyton’s “Footprints in the Concrete”
- Clark University and Councilman King Celebrate Youth Worker Training Institute 2016 Graduation
- Clark U. Ranked Among Schools That Give Students “Best Bang for Buck”
- Clark U. Ranked as One of Top Peace Corps Producing Schools in Country
- New York Times Bestseller, Naomi Klein, to Speak at Clark U.
- Senator Elizabeth Warren to Speak at Clark U. on March 14
- Clark U to Present Igor Stravinsky’s “A Soldier’s Tale”
- Clark U to Host Lecture on Syrian Refugee Crisis & U.S. Policy in Middle East
- Clark U to Host Its First Opioid Summit on Dec. 6
- Harvard Sociologist Desmond to Speak at Clark University
- Clark U. Makes Kiplinger’s List for Best College Values in 2017
- Woman Nearly Robbed in Clark University Parking Garage
- Cartoonists Sturm & Brown to Give Lecture at Clark University
- Clark U. to Host Film Screening & Discussion of “Farewell to Factory Towns?”