Clinton Man Leads Police on 5 Mile Car Chase in Worcester
Thursday, September 22, 2016
Santiago and charged with receiving a stolen motor vehicle, assault and battery on a Police officer, failure to stop for the police, driving with a suspended license, as well as other Motor Vehicle offenses.
On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at approximately 12:25 AM, a Worcester Police officer on patrol watched a grey Mazda sedan travel through a red light at Foster and Green Streets without slowing down or stopping. The officer activated his lights and sirens in an attempt to stop the car, but it continued without stopping. The officer watched the car engage in numerous motor vehicle violations, traveling through stop signs and bouncing off of curbs as it drove. Police tried to stop the vehicle for a distance of approximately 5 miles.
Eventually, the suspect car crashed into a guardrail on Main Street by Ludlow Street, which disabled the car and caused the air bag to deploy.
Police approached the driver to check on him. As they approached, the driver, identified as Richard Santiago, 46, of 8 Longedge Road, Clinton MA, started swearing at officers and refused to show officers his hands or exit the car. Officers had to physically remove Santiago from the vehicle.
Once he was removed, Santiago began fighting with officers, violently resisting attempts to be placed into handcuffs. After a violent struggle, officers were able to place Santiago into handcuffs.
Santiago refused to enter the police car for transportation, and officers had to physically pick Santiago up and carry him. In the process of placing him in the car, Santiago began spitting at officers. Eventually, officers were able to subdue and transport him to the station for processing.
Further investigation revealed that the car was stolen earlier in the day from a Worcester address.
- Worcester Police Promotions Thursday
- Worcester Police May Have Stopped Shooting
- Worcester Police Continue to Investigate Fatal 146 Crash
- Worcester Police in Search of Suspect After Attempted Armed Robbery
- Man Missing: Worcester Police Ask for Help
- Deputy Chief Steve Sargent Named New Worcester Police Chief
- Worcester Police Chief Gemme is Out Effective May 13th, UPDATED
- Worcester Police Arrest Suspect After Female Was Slashed in Face & Hands
- Worcester Police Investigating 2 Males Shot on Friday Afternoon
- Worcester Police Arrest 4 Men After Store Clerk is Assaulted
- 51 Pounds of Marijuana Seized by Worcester Police
- Worcester Police Officer Daige Honored by Red Sox for Pan Mass Challenge Effort
- Worcester Police Searching for Suspects After Shots Were Fired on Freemont St
- Worcester Police to Take Part in National Night Out on Tuesday
- Worcester Police Officer Stabbed in Face During Fight
- Worcester Police Officer Attacked, Man Tries to “Gouge Out His Eye”
- 18-Year-Old Shot at Latin Festival, Says Worcester Police
- Victim in Hamilton Street Shooting Identified by Worcester Police
- Worcester Police Officer Stabbed in the Face in the Line-of-Duty
- 16-Year-Old Boy Shot Multiple Times, Worcester Police in Search of Suspects
- Male Victim Suffering from Stab Wound Refuses to Cooperate with Worcester Police
- Worcester Police Arrest 8 During Undercover Prostitution Sting
- Worcester Police Investigating Euclid Ave Fight That Led to Stabbing of 2 Men
- Man Refuses to Cooperate With Worcester Police After Being Stabbed
- Worcester Police to Promote 6 Officers in Ceremony at City Hall