Giorgio: Kim Davis Should Resign
Wednesday, September 09, 2015
Kim Davis opted for jail instead, after she was found to be in contempt of court.
Davis’ rise to prominence was the result of her razor thin margin over her Democratic Primary challenger in 2015. She won the primary by 23 votes and the general election by under 500. Prior to winning the election, she served as deputy clerk for 25 years under her mother who was the Clerk.
Davis is a strange person to fight this “religious” battle. She has been divorced 3 times and married 4. She claims she has been born again after finding God a few years ago.
Can’t Use Religion as a Rational
However religious she is, she can’t use religion as a rational to defy the Constitution of the United States. Had she been Clerk 50 years ago, you can bet that she would not have registered Black voters or allowed inter racial marriage.
You come across these Christian bigots all the time, who selectively pick quotes from the bible to justify their unlawful actions. She is a public employee and has taken an oath to uphold and defend the constitution of the United States. She took that oath before God. But I guess that is another one of those selective religious things, such adultery, that she can rationalize away.
Kim Davis is a Civil Servant not and Ecclesiastical Servant. She has sworn to uphold the laws of American, not the laws of Heaven, which she believes in.
A Few Quotes from the Bible
In fact if you want to use quotes from the Bible to justify your actions, you might want to look at Mathew 22:21. “Then render to Caesar’s the things that are Caesar’s and to God the things that are God’s.” I believe that the laws of the Commonwealth of Kentucky and of the United States squarely fall into “Caesar’s” realm.
Now if you believe as Kim Davis does that Gay People are second class citizens and don’t deserve the same rights as others, I have this quote from the King James Bible, in Mathew 25:40: “And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” So according to the Bible if you discriminate you are discriminating against God.
The Supreme Court has Ruled
The Supreme Court of the United States has ruled in this case. They are the referees of what is constitutional. Whether Kim Davis supports it or not, Gay Marriage is legal. She has sworn an oath to uphold the Constitution. It is time for her to do the right and lawful thing and grant marriage licenses to gay couples.
If she is uncomfortable with that, she can do one of two things: she can authorize her deputies to issue them or she can resign.
I am sure that if she resigns there will be no shortage of opportunities. She would certainly be a hit on the right wing anti gay lecture circuit. Fox News could offer her a job as a political commentator to go along with her big supporter Mike Huckabee. Or if worse came to worse, she could start her own church in Kentucky.
Miss Davis needs to realize that American is not a Theocracy; we are a Democracy, where the rule of law is Supreme.
- Giorgio: Two New Schools With Different Challenges
- Giorgio: Make Way for Uber
- Giorgio: The New Jersey Boys
- Giorgio: Waco and Worcester
- Giorgio: Ireland Leads the Way
- Giorgio: What Should Happen to the Marathon Bomber?
- Giorgio: End the Climate of Hate
- Giorgio: Charlie Baker is Wrong on the Film Tax Credit
- Paul Giorgio: Hypocrisy
- Giorgio: Hostility in the Hoosier State
- Giorgio: Are You Really Ready for Hillary?
- Giorgio: Why Martin O’Malley Can Win
- Giorgio: The Republican Presidential Clown Car
- Giorgio: The Debate Over Fox’s Debate
- Giorgio: The Shootings Are Not Random
- Giorgio: Trump the Triumphal
- Giorgio: Another Victim of The Opioid Epidemic
- Giorgio: Jimmy Carter’s Amazing Grace
- Giorgio: End the Sales Tax Holiday
- Giorgio: The Bad News Bears
- Giorgio: The Remake of the 1980s Hit TV Show - Dynasty
- Giorgio: Guns, Hatred & Forgiveness
- Giorgio: The Obama Court
- Giorgio: After Obamacare and Marriage Equality, the President Takes on Cuba
- Giorgio: Take Back Worcester