Health Foundation Issues Activation Grants To Nine Worcester Orgs
Thursday, October 24, 2013
These grants, which generally fund one-year projects that offer innovative approaches to creatively solve existing health concerns. Since 2000, the organization has issued grants totalling more than $26 million. According to the Foundations President and CEO, Dr. Jan Yost, “The goal of the Activation Fund is to enable an organization to move to a higher level of capacity and to then continue to function at that higher level after the grant ends.”
There were 49 grant applicants, more than ever, in a strong pool in which nine grants were accepted.
The recipients of this round of Activation Fund grants include:
* Family Health Center of Worcester ($86,825)
* Heywood Hospital ($80,000)
* Montachusett Public Health Network ($66,300)
* Worcester County Horticultural Society - Tower Hill Botanic Garden ($54,505)
* Center for Living & Working ($50,000)
* Central Massachusetts Regional Planning Commission ($50,000)
* Spectrum Health Systems, Inc. ($46,376)
* Habitat for Humanity - MetroWest/Greater Worcester ($40,000)
* Family Continuity ($38,720)
Related Slideshow: AP Opportunities at Worcester’s High Schools
According to ProPublica, studies have shown that students who take advanced classes have increased chances of attending and finishing college. However, with the number of advanced placement (AP) courses offered at Worcester's public high schools varying significantly, not every student is given the same chance. The slides, below, show the Worcester public high schools whose students have the most and least AP opportunities to help them get into - and graduate from - college.
The below data were collected from the Civil Rights Data Set, released by the U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Right, and refers to the 2009-10 school year. The data were analyzed by ProPublica.
- NEW: Central MA Health Foundation Elects New Officers, Directors
- NEW: Community Members Elected to Health Foundation of Central MA
- NEW: Health Foundation of Central MA Offers Grants for Innovative Health Solutions
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.