Holy Cross Joins American Talent Initiative to Bring in Lower Income, 1st Generation Students
Tuesday, December 18, 2018
“Too often young people with the talent and desire to attend college are discouraged by the barriers, real and perceived, present in our higher education system. As educators, we must do all we can to reach out to lower-income and first-generation students and break down those barriers. Holy Cross is proud to join the American Talent Initiative and other colleges and universities committed to those shared goals,” said Holy Cross Provost Margaret Freije.
American Talent Initiative
The American Talent Initiative (ATI) brings together a diverse set of public and private institutions united in a shared goal of educating 50,000 additional high-achieving, lower-income students across the country by 2025.
ATI aims to increase the total number of low- and moderate-income students enrolled at these institutions from about 480,000 to 530,000 by 2025.
Each college and university participating in ATI identifies its own strategies to contribute to the collective goal.
Holy Cross will develop action plans to recruit more students from economically diverse backgrounds, increase the rate at which they apply for financial aid, and ensure they continue to graduate at a high rate. Holy Cross is committed to supporting these students socially, academically, and financially, from before they arrive on campus to graduation and beyond.
ATI, which welcomed its first members in December 2016, works with institutions across the country that graduate at least 70 percent of their students in six years—a threshold that just under 300 colleges achieve.
Holy Cross has a 92 percent six-year graduation rate.
Related Slideshow: Best College Towns in New England - 2018
- Holy Cross Edges UMass 82-78
- Holy Cross Falls to Rhode Island 79-63 at DCU Center
- Grandison’s Career-High 24 Points Leads Holy Cross Past Siena 57-45
- Holy Cross Football Rallies From 26 Points Down to Beat Georgetown 32-31
- Holy Cross Falls to Providence 70-61
- Holy Cross Basketball Signs 3 to National Letters of Intent
- Holy Cross Football Visits Georgetown in Final Game of Season
- Holy Cross Basketball Cruises Past Stony Brook 84-70 at Mohegan Sun
- Holy Cross Athletic Director Pine Steps Down, Takes Job at Air Force Academy
- Cousy Set to Return to Holy Cross to Host Discussion on New Book
- Holy Cross Falls to New Hampshire 28-0
- Holy Cross Football Visits Harvard Friday Night
- Holy Cross Falls to Harvard 33-31
- Holy Cross Basketball Picked to Finish 5th in Patriot League Preseason Poll
- Holy Cross Falls to #19 Michigan 56-37 in Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament
- Holy Cross Football Edges Fordham 17-13 in Final Home Game
- Holy Cross Falls to Harvard 73-62
- Holy Cross Escapes With 69-65 Overtime Win Over Albany
- Holy Cross Rolls Fairleigh Dickinson 67-49