Local Alleged Gang Member Arrested in Worcester After Crashing Stolen Car
Tuesday, November 14, 2017
Luis Matos, 18, was charged with Improper Storage of a Firearm, use of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony, Possession of a Firearm without an FID, Possession of Ammunition without an FID, Carrying a Loaded Firearm without a License, Receiving a Stolen Motor Vehicle, Failure to Stay within Marked Lanes, Failure to Stop for a Stop Sign, Failure to Use a Directional Signal, Operating a Motor Vehicle with a Suspended License, and Possession of Class D Substance with the Intent to Distribute.
On Tuesday, November 7, a Worcester Police officer assigned to the Operations Division, riding in the Emergency Operations car (EOPS), was on routine patrol in the downtown area. At approximately 4:00 p.m., the officer was in traffic at the beginning of Grafton Street while heading towards Franklin Street by Union Station. At this time the officer saw two men in a 2013 Toyota Corolla make a right turn without using its turn signal. The officer entered the car’s license plate into the cruiser computer. The officer was told that the car was reported stolen on November 1, 2017.
The officer followed the car onto Franklin Street where he then activated his emergency lights and signaled the driver to stop. The car did not stop initially but eventually pulled over near Groton Place.
The officer began to call out his location on the radio when the driver suddenly took off. The driver of the Toyota was driving erratically and committed numerous traffic offenses. Eventually, the driver lost control of the Toyota and crashed as he attempted to turn onto Thorne Street from Orient Street. The driver crashed into another car that was stopped at the stop sign on Thorne Street.
After the crash, the two men exited the Toyota and fled the scene on foot. The driver of the Toyota, later identified as Luis Matos, 18, of 4 Wakefield Street, was seen trying to run from the scene while holding onto something with both hands. When Matos took a couple more steps the officer saw a metallic object fall from the suspect and onto the street. Matos continued to run away. As the officer approached the object he immediately recognized the object to be a handgun. The officer continued to chase after Matos while another officer remained behind with the gun.
The officer quickly gained on Matos and he was subsequently apprehended.
The passenger was last seen running down Chrome Street and out of sight somewhere on Wall Street. Numerous officers arrived at the scene and conducted an extensive search for the second suspect. The search was eventually called off with negative results.
Due to the time of day, the accident and heavy police presence, traffic began to substantially back up. The officer keeping watch over the firearm called out that a large crowd was starting to gather around him.
The officer walked Matos back to the crash scene. Members of the WPD Gang Unit arrived and identified Matos as a member of a local gang. The officers conducted a brief search of the immediate reachable areas within the Toyota. The cursory search produced a glassine bag that contained marijuana; officers also located a medium-sized gray bag that contained a mason jar that had more marijuana in it. The officers also discovered additional marijuana wrapped in aluminum foil along with a digital scale and a box of plastic sandwich bags.
An ambulance was called to the scene to check on the occupants of the other car that was struck by the Toyota. The occupants were not hurt and cleared the scene.
WPD Crime Scene Unit arrived and took possession of the firearm.
Matos was not injured during this ordeal.
- Worcester Police Promote 7 New Sergeants
- Worcester Man Arrested for Drunk Driving After Hitting Worcester Police Car
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Attempted to Break Into Muslim School - Alhuda Academy
- Worcester Police to Swear in 8 New Officers on Friday
- Worcester Police to Honor Memory of 15 Officers During Ceremony on Sunday
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Two Credit Card Skimmer Suspects
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Involved in Robbery of CVS
- Worcester Police to Step Up Efforts to Prohibit Alcohol Sales to Minors
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit
- 5 Worcester Police Officers to be Promoted in Ceremony on Friday
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit Tuesday
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Suspect in Metro PCS Armed Robbery
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Grafton Street Walgreens
- Worcester Police Department to Promote 5 During Ceremony
- Worcester Police Department Recognized With Above & Beyond Award
- Worcester Police Offer Tips for Halloween Safety
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Sally Beauty Supply
- Wal-Mart Shoplifter Steals Worcester Police Officer’s Pepper Spray, Tries to Spray Him
- Worcester Police Arrest Man That Robbed Honey Farms With Syringe
- Worcester Police to Promote two Officers During Ceremony on Friday
- Worcester Police Arrest Two for Trafficking Drugs Near Lincoln Plaza
- Worcester Police to Launch Mounted Patrol Unit
- Two Arrested After Worcester Police Find Remains of Newborn Baby on Lake Ave
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Country Bank