Lois Wims Joins Worcester State University as Provost
Tuesday, August 18, 2015
Wims will oversee acadamics at WSU after last year's completion of a three-year faculty hiring plan that brought 53 new faculty to campus - including 15 who were hired into new tenure-track positions.
“Dr. Wims’s leadership skills are evident. She will bring energy and commitment to ensuring our academic enterprise moves forward, and she has a breadth of experience that will help us work together to achieve Worcester State University’s strategic goals,” said WSU President Barry Maloney.
Most recently, Wims served as the Dean of the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences at the Community College of Rhode Island (CCRI). Wims also brings experience in community relations and a background in criminal justice to the table.
Wims was the first female police officer in Central Falls, Rhode Island and later served on the governor's select commission to improve community relations and racial sensitivity within Rhode Island’s police departments.
Wims earned degrees from Bryant University and Salve Regina University, and a Ph. D. from the University of Rhode Island.
Dr. Wims served in academic leadership positions at a number of higher education institutions, including Bristol Community College, Salve Regina University, University of Rhode Island, Mercy College, and the University of South Alabama.
She completed an American Council on Education Fellowship in higher education administration at Bridgewater State College (now University), then served as associate dean of arts and sciences at the University of South Alabama (USA) in 2002. Her duties at USA included funding and partnerships for the college, helping with the completion of a Center for Archaeological Studies and a targeted freshman-yea- experience program.
- Worcester State and QCC Receive State Funding for New Construction
- Worcester State University Wins National Food Recovery Challenge
- Worcester State Set to Kick Off Black History Month
- Worcester State Nursing Students to Study Healthcare Practices in Dublin
- Worcester State Grad Films Baseball Documentary for NESN Series
- NEW: Worcester State University Investigating Armed Sexual Assault
- Kids Yogathon Set for June 21 at Worcester State
- Worcester State Theater to Present ‘Beast on the Moon’
- Worcester State to Host One Day Giving Challenge
- Worcester State University To Rename Civic Engagement Center for Representative Binienda
- Central MA College Standout: Worcester State’s Phyllis Duff
- Worcester State Raises More Than $6 Million From Donors