MA Ranks Among Best States in Country for Working Dads
Thursday, June 15, 2017
According to a recent study completed by WalletHub, Massachusetts is ranked as the 4th best state in the country for working dads.
“Fatherhood is not what it used to be. Back in the 1960s, American families relied on a single income, that of the dad, who spent much of his week at work while mom stayed home with the kids. Today, two-thirds of family households depend on two incomes. And the contemporary dad no longer fits neatly into the standard of the married male breadwinner and disciplinarian,” said WalletHub.
- 11th Best - Economic & Social Well-Being
- 11th Best - Work-Life Balance
- 3rd Best - Childcare
- 2nd Best - Health
- 4th - Lowest % of kids aged 0 to 17 (with Dad present) living in poverty
- 1st - Lowest male uninsured rate
The top five states for working dads are:
5. New Jersey
Mississippi is ranked as the worst state for working dads.
See the full rankings in the map below
To determine the best and worst states for working dads, WalletHub’s analysts compared the 50 states and the District of Columbia across four key dimensions: 1) Economic & Social Well-Being, 2) Work-Life Balance, 3) Child Care and 4) Health.
We evaluated those dimensions using 22 relevant metrics, which are listed below with their corresponding weights. Each metric was graded on a 100-point scale, with a score of 100 representing the most favorable conditions for working dads.
We then calculated the total score for each state and the District based on its weighted average across all metrics and used the resulting scores to construct our final ranking.
Economic & Social Well-Being – Total Points: 30
- Median Family Income (Adjusted for Cost of Living): Full Weight (~7.50 Points)
- Unemployment Rate for Dads with Kids Aged 0 to 17: Full Weight (~7.50 Points)
- Share of Kids Aged 0 to 17 (with Dad Present) Living in Poverty: Full Weight (~7.50 Points)
- Averaged Freshman Graduation Rate for Men: Full Weight (~7.50 Points)
Work-Life Balance – Total Points: 30
- Parental-Leave Policy Score: Double Weight (~15.00 Points)
- Average Length of Work Day (in Hours) for Males: Full Weight (~7.50 Points)
- Average Commute Time for Men: Full Weight (~7.50 Points)
Child Care – Total Points: 30
- Day-Care Quality Score: Double Weight (~10.00 Points)
- Child-Care Costs (Adjusted for Median Family Income): Full Weight (~5.00 Points)
- Pediatricians per Capita: Full Weight (~5.00 Points)
- Quality of State School System: Double Weight (~10.00 Points)
Health – Total Points: 10
- Male Uninsured Rate: Full Weight (~0.83 Point)
- Men’s Life Expectancy: Double Weight (~1.67 Points)
- Deaths Due to Heart Disease per 100,000 Men: Full Weight (~0.83 Point)
- Colorectal Cancer Cases per 100,000 Men: Full Weight (~0.83 Point)
- Prostate Cancer Cases per 100,000 Men: Full Weight (~0.83 Point)
- Urologists per 100,000 Men: Full Weight (~0.83 Point)
- Male Suicide Rate: Full Weight (~0.83 Point)
- Male Mental Health: Full Weight (~0.83 Point)
- Share of Men in Good or Better Health: Full Weight (~0.83 Point)
- Share of Physically Active Men: Full Weight (~0.83 Point)
- Unaffordability of Doctor’s Visits: Full Weight (~0.83 Point)
Related Slideshow: 20 Great Places to Find Last Minute Father’s Day Gifts - 2017
Bring therapy with a gift basket from Ice Box Gift Baskets!
How about the grille master gift basket which supplies everything you need to cook a solid meal on the grille. Dad might even want to cook dinner.
The grille master gift basket can be purchased from $35 to $50
Exclusives of Worcester has on-trend fashions for men and women, and carries an eclectic selection of music and media for the teens and tweens you’ve yet to shop for.
Don’t forget to pick up some jewelry and accessories as a great addition to your last minute gifting.
- MA Ranks Poorly For Racial Integration
- MA Ranks 38th in U.S. for Military Retirees
- MA Ranks as State Where Hispanics are Least Assimilated
- MA Ranks Worst in Nation for Patients Acquiring a Preventable Infection
- U.S. Unemployment Rate: See Where MA Ranks
- The Most Prescription Addicted States in U.S.: See Where MA Ranks
- MA Ranks 34th in U.S. for Military Retirees
- Winners & Losers in Housing Crisis: See Where MA Ranks
- MA Ranks as the 2nd Safest State in the US
- MA Ranks As Having Among the Worst Emergency Room Waiting Times in U.S.
- MA Ranks 15th in US for Doctors
- MA Ranks 33rd in US for Racial Progress
- See How MA Ranks Among Sexually Diseased States
- See Where MA Ranks Among Most Stressed States in U.S.
- See Where MA Ranks Amongst States With Highest Tax Burdens
- MA Ranks Near Bottom for Charity
- MA Ranks 27th in U.S. for Business Tax Climate
- MA Ranks 45th for Patriotism
- MA Ranks as 2nd Most Energy Expensive State in U.S.
- MA Ranks as 10th Least Charitable State in Country
- MA Ranks as 48th Fattest State in America
- MA Ranks Among the Best in U.S. for Health Care
- MA Ranks Last Among States With the Least Integrated Hispanics
- The Best States to be a Police Officer - See Where MA Ranks