Man Arrested After Robbing Woman at Knifepoint in Worcester
Thursday, January 18, 2018
Fernando Ayala, 31 was charged with armed robbery.
This investigation remains active.
On Tuesday, January 16, at approximately 9:15 a.m., Worcester Police responded to 27 Mount Vernon Street for a reported Larceny. Upon the officers arrival they met with a 35-year-old female victim.
According to the victim, she was exiting the Cantihno Do Brazil Market located at 108 Belmont Street when she was approached by a man asking her for money. The victim said that she had no money to give and attempted to walk away.
The man asked again but this time he was basically demanding it from her. The female refused again. At this time the suspect pushed her against the wall of Duncan Donuts, produced a knife and demanded her purse. The suspect took the purse and began to walk up Belmont Street. The victim told the officers that she began to follow the suspect onto Hooper Street and eventually onto Mount Vernon Street. The man was seen entering 27 Mount Vernon Street. Once inside she called the police.
Officers entered the building and spoke with the property manager. Officers were given access to the building security cameras for review. Officers were able to identify the apartment that the suspect had entered. After viewing the footage, the officers began to walk towards the apartment when they encountered a man that matched the suspect description from the security footage.
The man was identified as Ayala, 31-years-old of 33 Beacon Street.
Officers provided the victim an opportunity to take a look at Ayala and see if this was the male that took her purse. The victim identified him as the male that robbed her.
Ayala was placed under arrest.
Officers at the scene eventually located evidence and the victim’s purse inside the building.
- Worcester Police to Honor Memory of 15 Officers During Ceremony on Sunday
- Worcester Police to Swear in 8 New Officers on Friday
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Suspect in Metro PCS Armed Robbery
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Grafton Street Walgreens
- Worcester Police to Promote two Officers During Ceremony on Friday
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Attempted to Break Into Muslim School - Alhuda Academy
- Worcester Police Promote 7 New Sergeants
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit Tuesday
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Involved in Robbery of CVS
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Two Credit Card Skimmer Suspects
- Worcester Man Arrested for Drunk Driving After Hitting Worcester Police Car
- Worcester Police Arrest Two for Trafficking Drugs Near Lincoln Plaza
- Worcester Police to Launch Mounted Patrol Unit
- Wal-Mart Shoplifter Steals Worcester Police Officer’s Pepper Spray, Tries to Spray Him
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Sally Beauty Supply
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Country Bank
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Paulino’s Market Armed With Gun
- Worcester Police in Search of 2nd Suspect Following Armed Robbery on Belmont St.
- Worcester Police Offer Tips for Halloween Safety
- Worcester Police Department to Promote 5 During Ceremony
- Two Arrested After Worcester Police Find Remains of Newborn Baby on Lake Ave
- Worcester Police Arrest Man That Robbed Honey Farms With Syringe
- Worcester Police Department Recognized With Above & Beyond Award
- Worcester Police in Search of Suspect Involved in Carjacking in Upland Gardens