Man Sentenced to 18 Years in Prison for 2008 Stabbing in Worcester
Friday, August 11, 2017
According to Worcester County District Attorney Joseph Early Jr., Janleer Povez was sentenced to 18 years in state prison for pleading gilded to the 2008 stabbing of Jack McGuire of Westboro.
McGuire died after being stabbed in the thigh on April 21, 2008 by Povez during an attempted drug robbery on Florence Street in Worcester.
Povez also pleaded guilty to charges arising from his conduct in two trials for the death of McGuire, including witness intimidation, threatening, assault and battery on a public employee, assault and battery on a person over 60 and disruption of court proceedings.
Judge Shannon Frison sentenced Povez to 3-5 years in prison on the charges from the two trials.
That sentence is to be served at the same time as the sentence she imposed for the manslaughter plea.
Assistant District Attorneys John H. Melander Jr. and Donna Marie Haran had recommended that the 3-5 years be served after the 18-year sentence.
- 5 Worcester Police Officers to be Promoted in Ceremony on Friday
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit Tuesday
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Involved in Robbery of CVS
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Two Credit Card Skimmer Suspects
- Worcester Police to Step Up Efforts to Prohibit Alcohol Sales to Minors
- Worcester Police Make Arrest Connected to Constitution Ave Stabbing
- 17-Year-Old Steals Truck and Drags Owner on Wild Chase with Worcester Police
- Cambridge St Honey Farms Robbed - Worcester Police in Search of Suspect
- Worcester Police Offer Holiday Safety Tips for Shoppers
- Worcester Police Offer Alcohol Training to Local Bars, Restaurants
- Worcester Man Arrested for Drunk Driving After Hitting Worcester Police Car
- Worcester Police Promote 7 New Sergeants
- Worcester Police to Launch Mounted Patrol Unit
- Worcester Police Arrest Two for Trafficking Drugs Near Lincoln Plaza
- Two Arrested After Worcester Police Find Remains of Newborn Baby on Lake Ave
- Worcester Police Arrest Man That Robbed Honey Farms With Syringe
- Worcester Police to Promote two Officers During Ceremony on Friday
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Grafton Street Walgreens
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Attempted to Break Into Muslim School - Alhuda Academy
- Worcester Police to Swear in 8 New Officers on Friday
- Worcester Police to Honor Memory of 15 Officers During Ceremony on Sunday
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Suspect in Metro PCS Armed Robbery
- Worcester Police Department Recognized With Above & Beyond Award