McGovern Announces Congressional App Challenge Winners
Friday, December 07, 2018
The winners are Vishnu Penubarthi, Tian Yu Fan, Mary Barsoum, and Akshay Gopinathan.
“I am excited to congratulate Vishnu, Tian Yu, Mary, and Akshay on their exceptional app. I’m so proud that their work highlights the importance of creative solutions to the problem of hunger in America. Programs like the Congressional App Challenge help today’s students develop the skills they need to become the innovators and entrepreneurs or tomorrow. I look forward to following all their hard work in the years to come, and I congratulate them on behalf of our entire community,” said McGovern.
The students’ app, VeGETables, bridges the gap between supermarkets and food pantries by offering a platform where food pantries can request items from supermarkets.
The students said they “were inspired to create the app after learning about the enormous amount of food that is wasted every year by supermarkets that could go towards feeding the millions of hungry Americans.”
“The curriculum at Mass Academy is geared toward project-based learning, and encourages students to apply their knowledge to solve real world problems. We are extremely proud of all our students, and are thankful for the support from our legislators, which helps provide these opportunities to allow our students to excel and showcase their work,” said Michael Barney, Director of Mass Academy of Math and Science.
The App Challenge
The Congressional App Challenge highlights the value of computer science and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) education and encourages students to engage in these fields.
The Challenge is open to all U.S. high school students in participating districts.
Challenge participants are invited, either as individuals or as teams of up to four, to create and submit their own software application (“app”) for mobile, tablet, or other computing devices on a platform of their choice.
A panel of local computer science professionals and congressional representatives will judge the apps, and the winners in each district will have the honor of being recognized by their Congressional representative.
- McGovern Celebrates Installation of New Bike Exhibit in Worcester
- McGovern Calls Trump’s Proposed Budget “Heartless”
- McGovern Visits Worcester Regional Airport to Celebrate 20,000th Charter Flight
- McGovern, 75 House Dems Introduce Censure Resolution Against Trump
- McGovern Kicks Off 7th Annual MA Farm Tour
- McGovern Joins Petition to Force Vote on Independent Investigation Into Trump-Russia Ties
- McGovern Calls GOP Healthcare Bill Process a “Goddamn Mess”
- McGovern Calls Trump’s Budget Proposal “Reckless”
- McGovern, Petty Send Letter to Trump Criticizing Executive Orders on Immigration
- McGovern Says Passing Trumpcare “Requires Heart of Stone”
- McGovern Presents Medals to Leominster Veterans & Military Families
- McGovern Blasts Trump for Decertifying the Iran Deal
- McGovern Blasts GOP Over Lack of Gun Safety Legislation
- McGovern to Take YWCA Supervisor Huard to State of the Union
- McGovern Blasts Republicans for Proposed Balanced Budget Amendment
- McGovern Calls Trump’s Withdrawal from Iran Deal “Reckless & Dangerous”
- McGovern Names Bonaccorsi Communications Director
- McGovern Blasts Trump’s Move to End Protected Status for Immigrants from El Salvador