McGovern to Host Central MA Muslim Community Leader at State of Union
Tuesday, January 12, 2016
“As both parties come together tomorrow night for the State of the Union, I am pleased to have Asima Silva, an inspiring leader from Worcester’s Muslim community, joining me. In recent weeks, we have heard some truly dangerous and hateful rhetoric from political leaders who want to divide us. By helping to bring our community together in the past month, Asima has shown that we are strongest when we are united against such hate. This is the kind of leadership our community needs, now more than ever, and I’m so proud that she will be joining me for the State of the Union," said Congressman McGovern.
In December of 2015, Silva joined other local Muslim leaders to organize a Worcester Interfaith Vigil to unite faith communities in condemning recent terrorist attacks and praying for the victims and families.
“I am incredibly honored to join Congressman McGovern to hear President Obama deliver the State of the Union address tomorrow night. I have seen the Congressman working with his constituents over the years and I am very humbled by this opportunity. Civic engagement is so important to me and I am grateful for the opportunities I have had to help strengthen communication between our Muslim community and families of all faiths throughout Worcester," said Silva.
Silva lives with her husband and children in Holden, Massachusetts and works for IBM as a software engineer. In addition to that, she was elected last year as a member of the school committee for the Wachusett Regional School District.
- McGovern Named One of 50 Most Powerful People in Food
- Rep. McGovern Named Ranking Democrat on Nutrition Subcommittee
- McGovern Announces $1 Million to WRTA to Increase Reliability of Green Buses
- McGovern Welcomes $2 Million Worcester Innovation Center
- McGovern Wants Residents to Have a Say in LPG Sites
- $3 Million Athletic Field Secured by Congressman McGovern
- Statement From Congressman McGovern: Regarding The Presidents U.S.- Cuba Policy and Alan Gross
- McGovern to Deliver Commencement Address at UMass Medical School
- McGovern Announces $3 Million Federal Grant to Help End Veteran Homelessness
- McGovern and Markey Visit WPI to Tour Robotics Lab
- U.S. Rep McGovern To Distribute Thanksgiving Meals in Worcester
- Railroad Owner Reacts to McGovern’s Safe Communities Act
- Congressman McGovern to Help Plant 14 Trees at Roosevelt School in Worcester
- Congressman McGovern Names Chandler Chief of Staff
- Congressman McGovern Approves of $133 Million in Energy Assistance
- Governor Baker No on Syrian Refugees, McGovern Yes
- McGovern Forces Vote on Legislation to Keep Guns From Terrorists
- 15 Who Made a Difference in 2015: Jim McGovern, U.S. Congressman
- Congressman McGovern Visits and Reads to Local Webster Students
- McGovern Honors Vietnam Vet Bob LaRose with Army Medals
- McGovern Leads Groundbreaking for New Bike Path in Worcester
- Is Mayoral Race a Precursor to Gaffney Challenging McGovern?
- Nancy Pelosi and Rep. McGovern To Hold Hunger Roundtable
- McGovern and Petty Release Statements on Worcester Shootings
- McGovern Blasts House GOP Bill Taking Healthcare Away From 22 Million Americans