Monfredo: Fitclub Foundation Fundraiser to Benefit Children Set for March 25
Sunday, March 18, 2018
The money raised will go toward expanding FITCLUBS in the Worcester Public Schools. At the present time there are FITCLUBS taking place at WTHS and South High. The founder of this organization is Jocelyn Coughlin who teaches at Worcester Technical High School and chairs the Science Department there. She would like to expand to other schools and thus, make a difference in the lives of our students.
Leading the first spin session will be Andy Sharry director at Worcester Fitness and the vice president of the FITCLUB foundation. Worcester Fitness has been a huge sponsor and contributor of the FITCLUB. In addition, according to Ms. Coughlin, “Many community sponsors have been involved, being supportive and helpful (donating time and resources). Sponsors include Worcester Fitness, GH2 of Holden, Crossfit Worcester, Fit Friendzie, Kelley's Bootcamp for women, NV Fitness, and the Fitness Asylum. We are looking for additional gyms and health/fitness supporters to continue our work. “
When asked how she got started on this fitness journey she acknowledged that in 2014 she started a personal evolution of healthy eating and was working out at a variety of Worcester community gyms and as a teacher wanted to share this personal experience with students at her school. “This motivating, rewarding and inspirational community provided me a personal mission: Excite, engage and motivate students with health and fitness so they do not have to lose 75 pounds like I did. “
Ms. Coughlin started the Fitness program at WTHS in 2015-2016 and has had great success working with more than 100 students. She was able to get 15 volunteer trainers to assist her. The first year the students had the opportunity to work out and visit seven different fitness facilities. Then the following year she expanded the program at South High with eight new trainers and five new community partners. She then started a 501(c) and thus the Club is registered as a nonprofit.
She went on to say that her dream and her mission of the FITCLUB FOUNDATION is to provide fitness, nutritional and health opportunities to the youth of our community by linking industry professionals with schools in an effort to target students who may not have access, opportunity or ability to participate in traditional athletic programs. A Worcester product she embraces the idea of making our city a place where students can participate have fun and have diverse health and fitness opportunities in all the Worcester Public Schools.
Ms. Couglin, a passionate individual with a desire to make a difference for the youth of this city, stated that the biggest need in the fundraising event is awareness and support. She also hopes to encourage tax deductible donations to purchase students bikes. In addition, she is looking for business/cooperate sponsors, gift card/raffle baskets or any gifts the community wishes to donate to help fund the program.
- Monfredo: Be A Raktivist And Help Change Our Community
- Monfredo: Reading Campaign Continues On Election Day As A Reminder To Our Voters
- Monfredo: Cell Phone Exposure To Radiation … What Do You Know About It?
- Monfredo: PCBs - A Problem In Our Nation’s Schools & In The District
- Monfredo: Discussion On A Solution to Pcb Plan Addressed at Burncoat
- Monfredo: Vote No on Questions 2 & 4
- Monfredo: Time For Everyone To Research The Health Affects Of Wireless Technology
- Monfredo: Rob Pezzella Named Grand Marshall of Columbus Day Parade
- Monfredo: Wellness, A Factor In Learning, Health Ambassadors Take Center Stage
- Monfredo: Superintendent Binienda’s First 100 Days In Office
- Monfredo: North High & South High Kickoff Rally For Ap Students
- Monfredo: What Can Be Done To Change Starting Time In Our Secondary Schools?
- Monfredo: Creative Gift Giving This Holiday Season
- Monfredo: Needed - Advocates to Move the Foundation Budget Forward
- Monfredo: All Aboard for “Love a Book Month”
- Monfredo: Love a Book Month - A tradition in Worcester
- Monfredo: Students Learn Life-Saving Skills in the WPS
- Monfredo: Worcester School Committee Getting Close to Taking Legal Action Against State
- Monfredo: Addressing the Achievement Gap Starts in the Early Years
- Monfredo: Students Express Their Thoughts at MLK Jr. Ceremonies
- Monfredo: The Spirit Of Christmas Lives In ”Coats For Kids” Project
- Monfredo: Time For Making Those New Year Resolutions As A Family
- Monfredo: Foundation Budget Needs to Move Forward Now Contact State Officials
- Monfredo: Worcester Public School Students Excited About College Placements
- Monfredo: Worcester Public School’s Looking for Update - Take Survey