Monfredo: Superintendent Binienda Receives High Praise
Saturday, December 22, 2018
Needless to say, Superintendent Binienda came away with high marks … receiving mostly Proficient and Exemplary in all areas. It was over three years ago when Mrs. Binienda applied for the position of Superintendent after having been a principal and a teacher in the Worcester Public Schools for 40 years.
At that time, she referred to herself as an “urban warrior,”… an individual who will go far above and beyond educating and supporting children. She certainly has lived up to that title. In addition, she has embodied my philosophy of making decisions that are in the best interest of all children. Without a doubt, in the three years as Superintendent, she has shown to have the knowledge, passion, expertise and the energy to move our system forward.
As part of my evaluation of our superintendent here is a summary of what I wrote…
During the past few years, I have listened to the community talk about Superintendent Binienda ’s passion for education, her work ethic, love for the city, and most importantly her eagerness to do all that she can to make a difference in the lives of our students.
I have found our superintendent to be an innovator and one who makes things happen for our students. She is a relentless worker and thinks carefully before making any major decisions for the district.
Her qualities of commitment, passion, empathy, honesty, and integrity make up her character. She is a leader who motivates others, is a good listener and is a skillful communicator. The time commitment has been exemplary for not only is she seen everywhere in the community but is not afraid to deal with difficult problems within our district. An example of this is going to North High School last year and taking on the role of principal while being superintendent. She looked for ways of moving the school forward while at the same time seeking a leader for the school who would make a difference in the lives of the students.
Her role has no boundaries for when there is a need for her to be present at a Standing Committee Meeting she’s there to address the problem and assist with a solution. When a situation arises within the district she is there to listen and to come up with short and long-term solutions. In addition, she gives of herself in assisting others. Examples would be volunteering at Andy’s Attic on a Saturday sorting clothing for those in need. Helping bring cheer to our immigrants and adult education students at the Fanning Building by dishing out food for their Thanksgiving feast is another example. There are many more acts of kindness by our superintendent whether it be assisting students in need of scholarships from local colleges or getting food delivered to shelters.
Since day one she has set the tone for our city as “one city working together” to provide the best education for our students. During the past three years, the opening of the school year has been held at the DCU where she sets the tone for the start of the school year by bringing all professional and non-professional staff members together to engage in a well-planned program.
In addition, she has done an outstanding job in restructuring her administrative team to focus on improving teaching practices at the school level and supporting staff in their work. This has resulted in building morale within the teaching force and an overall positive feeling about our schools in the community. Chronic absenteeism has been reduced, more professional development has been introduced, additional opportunities for our best and brightest have increased, and those in need of assistance continues to be addressed during school and with after-school programs.
Mrs. Binienda has continued to meet with members of the community … businesses, college partners, social agencies and others to form partnerships to support education in this community.
In summary, every student deserves a champion, an adult who will never give up on them, who understands the importance of connections, and is adamant that they become the best that they can possibly be… our champion in this community is Superintendent Binienda.
- Monfredo: Worcester Public Schools Helping to Make Our City a “Heart Safe Community”
- Monfredo: When Will The Legislators Update The Foundation Budget?
- Monfredo: The Start of a New School Year - Parents Are You Ready?
- Monfredo: A Little History of South High School
- Monfredo: New School Year - Attend Today & Achieve Tomorrow
- Monfredo: This Year Schools Need to Deliver High Quality Customer Service
- Monfredo: Helpful Information About the Worcester Public Schools
- Monfredo: Eber Making a Difference for Middle School Students
- Monfredo: Helping Your Child With Math in the Summertime
- Monfredo: Superintendent Binienda Releases Her Mid-Cycle Report
- Monfredo: Let’s be The Best in Public Education
- Monfredo: Should Secondary School Starting Time be Moved Up?
- Monfredo: Andy’s Attic - Making a Difference in this Community
- Monfredo: Looking at Student Data on State Testing
- Monfredo: Vive Al France at Worcester Tech
- Monfredo: Ideas for the Holiday - Lots of Gifts of Love
- Monfredo: Youth & Drug Conference - Outstanding
- Monfredo: Worcester Public Schools Kick Off “Innovation Pathways” Project
- Monfredo: Worcester Public Schools Launch Early College Program
- Monfredo: The Importance of Teaching Cursive Writing in Our Schools
- Monfredo: Help is Needed in Our Community - Coats for Kids Taking Place