NEW: McGovern Joins ‘NOH8 on The Hill’ for National Coming Out Day
Friday, October 12, 2012
“I’m Congressman Jim McGovern and I’m happy to be a part of this campaign," the Representative said.
"I believe we need to work together to create a more tolerant, equal society.”
The event, held in coordination with the NOH8 campaign, marked the increasingly recognized holiday, held each year on October 11, to celebrate the coming out of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender individuals and raising awareness for the ongoing fight for equal rights.
Held this September and organized by the office of California Representative Adam Schiff, the bipartisan photo shoot was open to all Congressmen and Senators.
Elected officials have now represented 15 states including Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Vermont, and Wisconsin, as well as the District of Columbia itself.
National Coming Out Day marks the anniversary of the historic 1987 National March on Washington for Gay and Lesbian Rights, which demanded the government's attention to equal rights.
- NEW: McGovern Announces Nearly $4 Million for Energy Research at WPI
- NEW: Congressman McGovern Fights for Commuter Benefits
- Warren and McGovern Confront Issues Hitting Central Mass.
- NEW: Murray and McGovern Team with USDA to Announce $1 Million for Reforestation in Central Mass
- McGovern and Bill Bradley Rally Worcester Businesses for Warren
- NEW: Warren Marks Brown’s Vote Against Jobs Bill in Worcester