NEW: RI to Introduce Bill for Marijuana Regulation + Taxation
Wednesday, February 12, 2014
On Wednesday Rep. Edith H. Ajello (D) and Sen. Joshua Miller (D) are expected to announce the introduction of legislation they will sponsor to regulate and tax marijuana much like alcohol.
Representative Ajello, chairwoman of the House Judiciary Committee, and Senator Miller, chairman of the Senate Health and Human Services Committee, will be joined by advocates from Regulate Rhode Island and the Marijuana Policy Project at a news conference Wednesday afternoon on the first floor of the Rhode Island State House.
Joining them will be Dr. David Lewis, founder of the Center for Alcohol and Addiction Studies at Brown University; former Providence police officer Beth Comery; and former Warren High School teacher Pat Smith.
Michelle McKenzie, Senior Policy Director at Miriam Hospital, will also be available for questions following the announcement.
Related Slideshow: Marijuana Use in the New England States
- NEW: MA Medical Society Testifies on Medical Marijuana Regulations
- Central MA Medical Marijuana Race Narrows to 13 Players
- Central MA Med-Tech Leaders See Big Job Cuts From Obamacare Tax
- NEW: MA Med Society President Issues Statement on Pot Dispensaries
- Industry Group to Call for Tough Regulations on Medical Marijuana at Worcester Hearing
- Worcester Officials Call for Local Controls With Medical Marijuana
- NEW: MA Medical Society Cites Concerns on Medical Marijuana Law