NEW: Winter Storm Watch in Effect for Worcester Starting Sunday, March 20
Saturday, March 19, 2016
Snow is expected to start on Sunday after 5 p.m. and end before Monday at 9 a.m. The weather service says there is a 90% chance of snow on Sunday night.
According to the Weather Service, there is a 25% chance that Worcester receives 6-8" of snow and a 16% chance of getting 8-12" of snow.
Earlier on Friday, the Weather Service reported a 26% chance of 12-18" of snow, that number is now down to 13% chance.
Read the National Weather Service's Message Below.
WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA
1002 PM EDT FRI MAR 18 2016
CENTRAL MIDDLESEX MA-WESTERN ESSEX MA-EASTERN ESSEX MA-
SOUTHERN WORCESTER MA-WESTERN NORFOLK MA-SOUTHEAST MIDDLESEX MA-
SUFFOLK MA-EASTERN NORFOLK MA-NORTHERN BRISTOL MA-
WESTERN PLYMOUTH MA-EASTERN PLYMOUTH MA-SOUTHERN BRISTOL MA-
SOUTHERN PLYMOUTH MA-BARNSTABLE MA-NORTHWEST PROVIDENCE RI-
SOUTHEAST PROVIDENCE RI-WESTERN KENT RI-EASTERN KENT RI-
BRISTOL RI-WASHINGTON RI-NEWPORT RI-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FRAMINGHAM...LOWELL...LAWRENCE...
FALL RIVER...NEW BEDFORD...MATTAPOISETT...CHATHAM...FALMOUTH...
1002 PM EDT FRI MAR 18 2016
...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON
THROUGH MONDAY MORNING...
* LOCATIONS...ALL OF RHODE ISLAND AND EASTERN MA INCLUDING CAPE
COD AND WEST INTO THE WORCESTER HILLS. THIS INCLUDES THE
GREATER BOSTON TO PROVIDENCE CORRIDOR.
* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOWFALL.
* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 8 INCHES.
* TIMING...SNOW OVERSPREADS MOST OF THE AREA MID TO LATE SUNDAY
AFTERNOON WITH THE HEAVIEST SNOW AFTER SUNSET THROUGH SUNDAY
NIGHT. SNOW TAPERS OFF EARLY MONDAY MORNING.
* IMPACTS...GIVEN THE COLD WEATHER THIS WEEKEND ROADS WILL
QUICKLY BECOME SNOW COVERED ESPECIALLY SUNDAY EVENING AND
OVERNIGHT. SOME HEAVY WET SNOW IS POSSIBLE OVER SOUTHEAST
MASSACHUSETTS INCLUDING CAPE COD. THIS MAY YIELD AN INCREASED
RISK FOR DOWN TREE LIMBS AND RESULTING ISOLATED POWER OUTAGES.
* UNCERTAINTY...GIVEN THIS STORM SYSTEM HAS YET TO FORM AND IS
STILL ABOUT TWO DAYS AWAY...FURTHER ADJUSTMENTS TO LATER
FORECASTS ARE POSSIBLE. STAY TUNED TO LATER FORECAST
DISCUSSIONS AND STATEMENTS.
A WINTER STORM WATCH IS ISSUED FOR THE POTENTIAL OF ACCUMULATING
SNOW OF 6 OR MORE INCHES IN A 12 HOUR PERIOD...OR 8 OR MORE
INCHES IN A 24 HOUR PERIOD. ANYONE TRAVELING IN THE NEXT 24 TO
36 HOURS SHOULD MONITOR LATER FORECASTS AND BE PREPARED TO MODIFY
TRAVEL PLANS SHOULD WINTER WEATHER DEVELOP
Related Slideshow: Worcester’s Top Ten Highest Annual Snowfall Totals
- Finneran: Those Snow Drifts Hold Stories
- We’re #2!: Lowell Dethrones Worcester for Snowiest City in America
- Turtleboy: Lowell Passing Worcester For Snowiest City In USA Is A Gigantic Lie
- UPDATE: Worcester Is Back as #1 Snowiest City in the United States
- St.Patrick’s Day Parade Route: Park Avenue Covered in Snow
- Worcester DPW Concerned About Potential Flooding When Snow Melts
- Worcester, Lowell and Boston are Top 3 Snowiest Cities in United States
- 6 to 10 Inches of Snow Coming to Worcester Saturday Night
- NEW: Winter Storm Update: Worcester Hits 100 Inches of Snow this Season
- Worcester Already Has Snowiest February on Record
- Worcester Has Spent $4.7 Million in Snow Removal this Winter
- National Weather Service Concerned About Snow Thaw in Worcester
- Baker and Polito Seek Federal Assistance to Cover Costs from Record Snowfall
- College Admissions: Best Ski + Snowboard Colleges in the West
- Worcester Struggles With Early Snow Storms
- John Ghiorse: Up to a Foot of Snow May Hit Worcester
- Worcester Residents Rate City’s Snow Removal as “Terrible”
- Edward Snowden Talks About a Return to the United States
- College Admissions: Best Ski + Snowboard Colleges in the East
- MA Beauty Expert: Snow Day Chic
- It’s Freaking 60° Out, Here Are 25 Things to do Before it Snows
- See Where Worcester Ranks for Snowfall in US
- Its Official: Worcester Says It Is Snow Season
- 15 Who Made a Difference in 2015: Snow
- Weather Service Says 32% Chance Worcester Gets 12-18” of Snow Sunday Into Monday