Obama Coming to Worcester: 16 Questions for the President
Tuesday, June 10, 2014
GoLocal asked elected officials as well as business and community leaders what they would ask the President, if they had the opportunity to ask one question.
See Questions BELOW
Worcester Technical High School Principal Sheila Harrity said Thursday, “We are honored that President Obama has chosen to address the graduates of Worcester Technical High School. As a preeminent leader and advocate for Career and Technical Education (CTE), the President’s work and commitment to promoting equality of opportunity for all, will inspire the class of 2014.”
Editor's Note: This article was originally published on March 21, 2014
Related Slideshow: 16 Questions for President Obama
With the announcement that President Barack Obama will be giving the commencement address at Worcester Technical High School's graduation in June, GoLocal asked elected officials and community leaders in Worcester if they had the opportunity to ask the President one question -- what would it be, and why?
"Mr. President, you're here to highlight a successful vocational tech high school -- what can you do as President to lead to more voc-tech opportunities for students across the country, and help bring the resources to help make that happen?"
"Mr. President, Democratic and Republican Senators and Congressman describe you as aloof and dis-engaged, more interested in "The View" than in their views. Are you aloof and disengaged?
Why: "The reason for the question is to challenge the President to become more engaged with the legislative branch. If he did so, he could forestall his inevitable slide toward lame-duck status."
Tom Finneran, Former Massachusetts Speaker of the House of Representatives
“What is the role of the Federal government in building an educated citizenry?”
Why: "As states and school districts debate the adoption of national standards in K-12 education, the responsibilities, resources, and powers of the Federal government in the field of education have been challenged. While restricted from direct involvement in student curriculum since the 1960s, the Federal government includes a U.S. Department of Education and plays a critical role in coordinating and funding educational policy. In the President of the United States’ view, what are, and what should be, the limits of Federal jurisdiction in public education?"
Tim McGourthy, Greater Worcester Research Bureau Executive Director
"I don't have an ask, it's more of a statement, and it goes towards creating policy for our public schools. If the President is asking cities and states having to do whatever to conform to education standards, see how it will be funded first, then create policy. I would broach that respectfully."
Tony Economou, Worcester City Councilor
"I would want to ask him why is he supporting Common Core and National standards, doesn't he think the local school boards know whats best for our children and their schools?"
Why: "As a single mom whose daughter is enrolled in WPS, I am very concerned about common core and the deviation from local control into federal hands."
Carol Claros, Nurse, Former Republican Candidate for State Representative
Jordan Berg Powers
"Why are your pushing the same failed education policies of the Bush Administration with a focus on privatization and meaningless bubble tests instead of focusing on the skills that will enable our kids to create their job of the future?"
Why: "Worcester Tech is both the best and worst parts of our education system. It shows that providing quality education is not rocket science, schools need to be well resourced, they need to be fun, relevant to what the kids themselves believe will be their future plans. And Worcester Tech is an elitist institution that fails the promise of universal quality public education that should be available to all."
Jordan Berg Powers, Worcester activist
The Girls' Inc CEO, one of GoLocal's "14 to Watch in 2014," opted to let girls in the program ask their own quetions instead. Here is what Waterman reported for what they wanted to know:
Why is the United States in so much debt?
Do you ever wake up scared that something will happen to your family because you’re the President of the USA?
Why are you sending troops across the sea if it has nothing to do with us or is going to affect our country?
Why are people in debt and what will you do to help them?
What is your life like? Is it fun? Is it tiring?
Is being a president stressful?
Who inspired you to be what you are now?
What inspired you to be the president of the United States?
What middle school did you go to?
What do you like to do in the White House?
How do you sleep at night with everything you have to worry about?
Why did you run for President?
Do you like classical music?
Who do you want your pastry chef to be?
Can you convince my mom to give me an Ipod or a Pandora bracelet?
- NEW: President Obama to Deliver Worcester Tech Commencement Speech
- Rob Horowitz: Obama Moves into High Gear on Climate Change
- Rob Horowitz: Obamacare: Hold the Shovels
- Rob Horowitz: State of the Union: Obama’s Chance to Set the Agenda
- Smart Benefits: 3 Ways Obamacare Hurts Employees
- Smart Benefits: A Bad Week Brings Reactionary Changes to Obamacare
- Smart Benefits: Obamacare Brings Big Changes to Small Employers
- Smart Benefits: Obamacare Mandates: What Is And Isn’t Delayed
- Smart Benefits: Polls Show Most Americans Skeptical of Obamacare
- Tom Finneran: Obama’s Dominoes
- Tom Finneran: President Obama’s New Year
- Rob Horowitz: Obama Leads National Conversation on Trayvon Martin
- Rob Horowitz: King, Obama + Citizen Activism
- Rob Horowitz: Campaign To Strangle Obamacare In Its Crib Will Fail
- Arthur Schaper: AdamsCare, RomneyCare, ObamaCare: Bad Healthcare
- Arthur Schaper: Markey: Missing the Mark on ObamaCare
- Carol Costa: Click Here…Oops: Obamacare’s Legit Problem
- Central MA Med-Tech Leaders See Big Job Cuts From Obamacare Tax
- Don Roach: Hypocrisy, Thy Name Is Obama Diplomacy
- Don Roach: Obama Loses Showdown with Putin
- Don Roach: Obama- A Case Study In Deceit
- NEW: President Obama Commutes Sentence of Gov. Patrick’s Cousin
- Obama Coming to Worcester: 16 Questions for the President
- Paul Giorgio: Obamacare, The Debt Ceiling + Tea Party Republicans
- Smart Benefits: Employers Who Ignore Obamacare Will Pay