NEW: Governor Patrick Responds to DCF Report
Monday, January 27, 2014
The report made it clear that the failures and oversights that lead to what the Governor characterized Monday as an inexcusable failure were not isolated to this particular case. Patrick made clear that the case in question was an indicator that impactful changes were needed, saying that the case "points to other weaknesses in the Department that we're trying to look at."
Patrick spoke both about specific prescriptions for improvement as well as more generally about the important and difficult work done by the Department. While he called for improvements like the use of better communication technology and "real time data" within the D.C.F., he emphasized that "the biggest relief will come from adding staff."
The report by the Office of the Child Advocate had found that overstretched social workers were often unable to make visits or keep up with the number of caseloads. Patrick emphasized the need to "reinvigorate" the Department following the tragedy, pledging to find a "technological fix" and infuse the Department with the human capital necessary to make attend to the health and safety of all the children in its care.
Related Slideshow: The Best and Worst Run States in New England
How well do the New England states stack up against each other in terms of how they're currently run?
According to 24/7 Wall Street, looking at a state's debt per capita, budget deficit, unemployment, median household income, and percentage below the poverty line are all indicators of a state's level operational success - or lack thereof.
Below are how the New England states were ranked compared to each other, based on data from 2012 -- as well as the "best run" and "worst run" states in the country.
- Leonardo Angiulo: Medical Decision-Making in the Case of Children
- If Patrick Becomes US Attorney General - See How the Cards Fall
- What Will Patrick’s Budget Mean for Worcester?
- Impact Of Patrick’s Deregulation On Small Businesses
- Arthur Schaper: ‘Saint’ Patrick’s Budget Proposals For Mass.
- Deval Patrick’s Short List for the U.S. Senate Seat
- NEW: Deval Patrick Kicks Off School Year at Auburn’s STEM Academy
- GoLocalTV: Gov. Patrick Responds to Rumors That He is Headed to Washington
- Arthur Schaper: “Mister Governor” Patrick’s Final Budget
- GoLocalTV: Gov. Patrick Talks Gun Control and a Possible Senate Appointment
- John Monfredo: Combining Health and Literacy Essential for Our Children
- Governor Patrick Announces Major Grant for Life Sciences Projects
- Lack of Worcester School Nurses Putting Children at Risk
- Governor Patrick Announces Massachusetts Home Ownership Compact