Royalston #72: Central MA’s Best Communities
Monday, June 25, 2012
One of the smallest towns on our list, Royalston finds itself at the very bottom, #72 in Central Mass.
Large in terms of land area, but small in terms of population, predominantly rural Royalston is located in western Worcester County, on the New Hampshire border. The village of South Royalston is home to much of the town's population as well as the town's classic New England town common. Lake Tully is the source of most recreational activity with hiking trails, a campground and a disc golf course.
Desite its low ranking, Royalston is in the top one-third for Economic Condition. It ranks 67th out of 72 for cultural activities, 68th for availability of restaurants and 69th for educational achievement.
Median household income: $60,385
Median housing price: $190,000
2012 Best Communities rankings
Overall ranking: 72
Affordability ranking: 42
Education ranking: 69
Economic condition ranking: 27
Safety ranking: 59
Arts & Culture ranking: 67
History in a nutshell:
Consisting of mostly forests and wetlands, Royalston has continued its dedication to preservation and wildlife management throughout history. Since 1951, the town, through The Trustees of Reservations, acquired a 217-acre preserve which includes the Tully Lake Flood protection dam and Royalston Falls—a 50-foot waterfall and granite gorge.
Asahel Peck, Former Governor of Vermont
Lysander Cutler, Union Army General during the Civil War
George Carter Richardson, Former Mayor of Cambridge
Famous residents source: WolframAlpha
Additional reporting by Grace Fenton
- Massachusetts’ Best Communities 2012
- Winchendon #65: Central MA’s Best Communities
- Royalston #72: Central MA’s Best Communities
- Oxford #64: Central MA’s Best Communities
- Ware #71: Central MA’s Best Communities
- West Brookfield #63: Central MA’s Best Communities
- Webster #70: Central MA’s Best Communities
- Southbridge #69: Central MA’s Best Communities
- Fitchburg #68: Central MA’s Best Communities
- Spencer #67: Central MA’s Best Communities
- Central MA Best Communities 2012: How We Got the Numbers
- Ayer #66: Central MA’s Best Communities