Shrewsbury Man Dies in Car Crash on Mass Turnpike
Friday, December 28, 2018
The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
Massachusetts State Police are investigating the accident.
No further information is available.
On Wednesday evening, at approximately 5:20 p.m., troopers from the State Police Barracks in Westfield responded to reports of a crash on I-90 eastbound, the Massachusetts Turnpike, at the 28.6 mile-marker, in the town of Blandford.
Upon arrival, Trooper Daniel Cahill discovered a 2015 Ford Mustang had collided with the rear of a tractor-trailer. The tractor-trailer driver, a 46-year-old Pennsylvania man was not injured in the crash.
The driver of the Mustang, a 61-year-old man of Shrewsbury died at the scene as a result of injuries sustained in the crash.
Preliminary investigation revealed that the tractor-trailer was initially traveling westbound, when for reasons still under investigation, turned around in the emergency turn-around located at the 28.6 mile-marker, into the eastbound lanes of I-90, when it was then struck from behind by the Mustang.
During the incident, initially all lanes were closed on I-90 eastbound, then the breakdown lane was open for travel at approximately 7:43 p.m., then the right travel lane opened at approximately 9:38 p.m., with all lanes opening to travel when all assets cleared, at approximately 9:52 p.m.
The remaining facts and circumstances of the crash are currently under investigation by troopers from the Westfield Barracks. Troop B Headquarters, State Police Crime Scene Services Section (CSSS), State Police Collision Analysis Reconstruction Section (CARS), troopers assigned to the Hampden County District Attorney’s Office, Westfield Fire Department, and Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MADOT) all assisted on scene.
- Worcester Police Investigating Shooting on Suffield Street
- Woman Arrested for OUI After Crashing Into Parked Worcester Police Cruiser
- Worcester Police Investigating Crash Involving Dirt Bike & Car
- Worcester Police to Honor Memory of 9 Officers During Annual Memorial Ceremony
- Worcester Police Officer Bitten by Suspect During Attempted Arrest
- Worcester Police in Search of Suspect Involved in Carjacking in Upland Gardens
- Worcester Police in Search of 2nd Suspect Following Armed Robbery on Belmont St.
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Sally Beauty Supply
- Wal-Mart Shoplifter Steals Worcester Police Officer’s Pepper Spray, Tries to Spray Him
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Country Bank
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Paulino’s Market Armed With Gun
- Worcester Police Investigating Drive-By Shooting on Providence Street
- Worcester Police Investigating Crash Between Bicyclist & Car
- Worcester Police Investigating Break-in at Vernon Park’s Little League Field Houses
- Worcester Police Investigating Everard Street Home Invasion
- Worcester Police Investigating Vehicle Vandalism in Lincoln Street Area
- Worcester Police Offer Series of Holiday Safety Tips
- Worcester Police Investigating Gunshots in Area of Houghton Street
- Worcester Police Offer Halloween Safety Tips
- Worcester Police Investigate Suspicious Device on Dorchester Street