NEW: Worcester Union Calls off Talks with Supt. Boone, Plans Protest
Wednesday, May 02, 2012
In addition, the Education Association of Worcester (EAW) has filed a “prohibited practices” charge with the Massachusetts Department of Labor Relations, according to EAW President Leonard Zalauskas. The union is claiming the district has no legal authority for its actions.
“This is not the way to do business in Worcester or any other place in Massachusetts,” said Zalauskas, “This sets back labor-management relations tremendously.”
Talks started last week, but broke down Monday, according to Zalauskas, because Boone refused to back off on an order that all teachers at Claremont must reapply for their jobs before returning this fall. The superintendent did offer one concession, saying she would guarantee 25 percent of the teachers could return to Claremont. The others would be placed throughout the school system. That was unacceptable to Zalauskas.
“We’ve declared an impasse,” he told GoLocalWorcester. “There’s just no more to talk about.”
Zalauskas said the union had asked that teachers be allowed to listen to incoming Claremont Academy Principal Ricci Hall and hear about his plans for the school before deciding whether to reapply. The school department, he said, denied that request.
The protest is scheduled for 6 p.m. Thursday in front of City Hall.
Please return to GoLocalWorcester.com for more on this developing story.
- Claremont Academy Teachers Protest School Overhaul
- Claremont: Parents Showdown with Boone
- EXCLUSIVE: Secretary of Education Meets With Boone Over Claremont Decision
- 122 Children at Sullivan Middle School are Homeless
- Budget-Stricken Wachusett Schools Spend Millions on Custodians
- BREAKING: Claremont Teachers Protest: “Let Us Keep Our Jobs”