slides: The New England States That Smuggle The Most Tobacco
Saturday, December 21, 2013
Read the full article here
The Michigan-based, conservative-leaning Mackinac Center has researched tobacco smuggling in the contiguous United States every two years since 2008. The latest study released this year includes data from 2011.
See which New England states have the highest percentage of "black market" cigarette sales in the slides below.
Related Slideshow: Black Market Cigarettes in New England
Scholars at Michigan's Mackinac Center for Public Policy have analyzed tobacco sales data to estimate smuggling rates for each state.
The report uses 2011 data and finds that smuggling rates generally rise in states after they adopt large cigarette tax increases. Smuggling rates have dropped in some states, however, often where neighboring states have higher cigarette tax rates.
This means that people are buying cigarettes in lower-taxed states legally, and bringing them into nearby higher-taxed states to sell at a lower price with higher profits.
See which New England states have the highest percentage of smuggled cigarettes in the slides below:
Source: Mackinac Center for Public Policy; Tax Foundation.
- Differential Wellness Programs Can Nip Smoking in the Butt
- New Study: Quitting Smoking Also Makes You Happier
- Medical Marijuana: 13 to Watch in Central Mass in 2013
- Leonard Angiulo: MA Court Takes Hit of Justice in Marijuana Rulings
- Can MA Regulate Marijuana When it Can’t Regulate Tobacco?
- Mass Medical Society Approves Of DPH Marijuana Regulations
- MA Cigarette Tax Hike Could Boost Illicit Sales
- Massachusetts Cigarette Tax Top 10 In US–Ranking
- MA Medical Society Urges Stricter Regulation of E-Cigarettes
- Industry Group to Call for Tough Regulations on Medical Marijuana at Worcester Hearing
- Legalized Marijuana: Could MA Be Next?
- NEW: Mass Medical Society Policy Opposes Youth Use of E-Cigarettes
- 14 Non-Profits Seek Medical Marijuana License for Worcester County
- How Much Are MA Residents Smoking—New CDC Ranking