VIDEO: Two Arrested for Fighting Patrons, Police Shown Punching Outside of Riviera Show Club
Tuesday, June 12, 2018
Mitchell Lugo is charged with trespass, resisting arrest, disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct, civil rights violation, and assault and battery on a Police officer.
And, his brother Zachary Lugo was charged with the same.
"When we conduct these investigations, we gather as much information and as many facts as possible. Our members of the Bureau of Professional Standards then review the circumstances, level and the degree to which force was used. The initial review indicates that the use of force falls within the parameters of policy and training standards under the circumstances. A full investigation is being conducted,” said Chief Steven Sargent.
The Investigation is ongoing.
On Sunday, June 10 a Worcester Police Officer was working a paid detail at the Riviera Show Club. At approximately 1:50 a.m., his attention was drawn to a commotion in the parking lot. A separate officer driving on Southbridge St in his cruiser also saw the commotion and stopped. The officers saw a fight in progress, and broke up the fight and separated the parties. Several individuals said that a male, later identified as Mitchell Lugo, twenty-three-years-old of Spencer, had attacked them for no reason. Officers told Mitchell and his brother, Zachary Lugo, 27-years-old of Rutland, to stop fighting and leave the area. There had been multiple incidents throughout the night with these two individuals.
Officers tried to calm the brothers down and get them to leave the area, but both brothers continued to scream profanities at the individuals they were fighting. Mitchell and Zachary Lugo continued to try to escalate the situation with their opponents by flailing their arms and screaming. At this point, one of the officers started to escort Zachary away from the area. Zachary squared up with the officer, and took a combative stance. At this point, the officer told Zachary that he was under arrest. At this point, the officer’s attention was drawn to an intense struggle between Mitchell and the second officer, and he left Zachary to assist the other officer.
At this point, the detail officer was trying to place Mitchell under arrest. The officer was standing up and struggling with Mitchell, who had his arm hooked around the officer’s head.
The officer was able to take Mitchell to the ground, and Mitchell tried to grab the officer by the neck, which the officer countered with punches. At this point, other officers arrived and attempted to place Zachary under arrest. He fought with officers and was eventually taken down to the ground, right next to Mitchell. At this point, both brothers were actively fighting and there were still only two officers on scene. An officer was able to place one handcuff on Mitchell, who continued fighting with his other hand.
As both brothers were on the ground, more officers arrived. At this point, while on the ground, Zachary punched one of the officers and tried to grab his duty belt. In an attempt to stop the assault and protect his gear, the officer delivered a closed-fist strike to Zachary’s face. An arriving officer was running up to the scene and saw Zachary’s attempt to grab an officer’s belt, and delivered multiple quick strikes to Zachary’s face. Officers continued to arrive and were eventually able to place both men in handcuffs.
Both Mitchell and Zachary Lugo continued to try to kick officers after being placed in handcuffs. While waiting for the wagon, both Mitchell and Zachary were screaming threats and profanities at officers. Zachary and Mitchell focused in particular on an Asian-American officer, calling him racial slurs and saying that knew people who would kill the officer’s family for them.
- Worcester Police Arrest Two for Trafficking Drugs Near Lincoln Plaza
- Worcester Police to Promote two Officers During Ceremony on Friday
- Worcester Police to Launch Mounted Patrol Unit
- Two Arrested After Worcester Police Find Remains of Newborn Baby on Lake Ave
- Worcester Police Arrest Man That Robbed Honey Farms With Syringe
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Grafton Street Walgreens
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Suspect in Metro PCS Armed Robbery
- Worcester Police Promote 7 New Sergeants
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Attempted to Break Into Muslim School - Alhuda Academy
- Worcester Police to Swear in 8 New Officers on Friday
- Worcester Police to Honor Memory of 15 Officers During Ceremony on Sunday
- Worcester Police Department Recognized With Above & Beyond Award
- Worcester Police in Search of Suspect Involved in Carjacking in Upland Gardens
- Worcester Police in Search of 2nd Suspect Following Armed Robbery on Belmont St.
- Woman Arrested for OUI After Crashing Into Parked Worcester Police Cruiser
- Worcester Police Investigating Shooting on Suffield Street
- Worcester Police Investigating Crash Involving Dirt Bike & Car
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Paulino’s Market Armed With Gun
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Country Bank
- Worcester Police Department to Promote 5 During Ceremony
- Worcester Police Offer Tips for Halloween Safety
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Sally Beauty Supply
- Wal-Mart Shoplifter Steals Worcester Police Officer’s Pepper Spray, Tries to Spray Him
- Worcester Police to Honor Memory of 9 Officers During Annual Memorial Ceremony