Two Arrested in Worcester After Assaulting Man With Gun
Monday, March 20, 2017
Alfonso Merced, 31, and Yasmin Vazquez, 32, both of Providence are being charged with unlawfully carrying a firearm, possession of a firearm during commission of a felony, unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm, and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.
On Sunday, March 19, at approximately 2:00 a.m., a Worcester Police officer on patrol in the area of Kelly Square was approached by a 27 year old man who told police that he had just been assaulted in the parking lot of the Gulf gas station on Madison Street.
Police learned that a man had approached the victim in the parking lot of the gas station and struck him in the head with a black gun. The suspect then entered the passenger seat of a white a Toyota Yaris and left the scene. Police were told that there were a total of four people in the suspect car.
Police broadcast a description of the suspect and the suspect car over the radio. Shortly after, officers saw a white Toyota Yaris drive past them in Kelly Square. Officers confirmed that the car plate matched that of the suspect car. Police were able to initiate a stop of the suspect car at the corner of High and Austin Streets.
Once the car was stopped, police removed all four individuals. After they were removed, police found a loaded black 9mm handgun in plain view sticking out of the driver’s door storage compartment. Police also found a second clip for the gun that was loaded with 6 rounds of ammunition.
Police identified the front seat passenger as Merced. He was positively identified as the suspect who struck the victim in the head with the gun. Police identified the driver of the suspect car as Vazquez. During the on scene investigation, police learned that the gun was owned by Vazquez, and that she had provided Merced with th egun before the assault. Police also learned that neither Vasquez or Merced are licensed to carry a firearm in Massachusetts.
Both Vazquez and Merced were placed under arrest. The two rear passengers of the suspect vehicle were released at the scene.
Worcester Police Crime Scene Unit responded to the scene to collect the firearm.
- Worcester Police Officer Stabbed in Face During Fight
- Worcester Police Officer Stabbed in the Face in the Line-of-Duty
- Worcester Police to Take Part in National Night Out on Tuesday
- Worcester Police Officer Attacked, Man Tries to “Gouge Out His Eye”
- 18-Year-Old Shot at Latin Festival, Says Worcester Police
- 16-Year-Old Boy Shot Multiple Times, Worcester Police in Search of Suspects
- Man Refuses to Cooperate With Worcester Police After Being Stabbed
- Worcester Police Searching for Suspects After Shots Were Fired on Freemont St
- Male Victim Suffering from Stab Wound Refuses to Cooperate with Worcester Police
- Worcester Police Arrest 8 During Undercover Prostitution Sting
- Worcester Police Investigating Euclid Ave Fight That Led to Stabbing of 2 Men
- Victim in Hamilton Street Shooting Identified by Worcester Police
- Worcester Police to Promote 6 Officers in Ceremony at City Hall
- Worcester Police to Step Up Efforts to Prohibit Alcohol Sales to Minors
- Worcester Police Make Arrest Connected to Constitution Ave Stabbing
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit
- 5 Worcester Police Officers to be Promoted in Ceremony on Friday
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit Tuesday
- Worcester Police Offer Alcohol Training to Local Bars, Restaurants
- Worcester Police Offer Holiday Safety Tips for Shoppers
- Crime Spree — Three Armed Robberies Linked Say Worcester Police
- Worcester Police Make Cocaine Drug Bust
- 17-Year-Old Steals Truck and Drags Owner on Wild Chase with Worcester Police
- Cambridge St Honey Farms Robbed - Worcester Police in Search of Suspect
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Involved in Robbery of CVS