Union President Blasts School Administration for Not Firing North High Principal
Friday, April 10, 2015
Following school committee member Dianna Biancheria’s request for a report on training of Worcester Public Schools employees during the school year on professional and ethical boundaries regarding electronic and social media, Leonard Zalauskus, President of the Education Association of Worcester, expressed his displeasure for the administration’s lack of action and for allowing Dyer to remain as principal at North High.
Zalauskus said, “Enough is enough. North High has been in turmoil and the common element has been the principal. And that’s a fact.”
Zalauskus added, “Publicly reprimanding a teacher is reprehensible, and the principal’s apology that followed is unacceptable. The fact is it was implied that racism was involved.”
Zalauskus then turned to Mayor Joe Petty and point-blank asked the Mayor if he thought Harvey was a racist.
“We have two good people involved here,” Petty continued. “We have Ms. Harvey, who is a very good person and who loves her students. Unfortunately, because of what was written, some people perceived that she is racist. I don’t think that’s the case.”
Petty said, “I also believe Ms. Dyer is a good person and she also cares about her students. I would ask if everybody could please just work together. We have a lot of good students at that school and we need to work together. The kids are doing their jobs. And we need to, as adults, do our jobs.”
Zalauskus responded, “Mr.Mayor, Ms. Harvey is not a racist. When no discipline is metered out, and when a public apology is not even close to a real apology, something needs to be done.”
- North High Principal Sends Email to Staff Aligning Teacher with “Racist”
- North High Principal’s Email Not on School Committee Meeting Agenda
- WPS Releases Statement on North Principal’s Email to Faculty
- Was North High Principal’s Email Approved by Boone Before Being Sent?
- More Problems at North High: Vice Principal Assaulted Trying to Break Up Fight
- Retired Educator and Former Alum Blasts City for North High Issues
- Worcester Police Still Waiting On Boone to Link Cameras at North High
- North High Parents Action Plan Meeting Tonight, Media Not Invited
- Is Boone’s Action Plan for North High Still in Play?
- Worcester Public Schools to Station WPD Officers at North High
- Two Students Arrested, Still No Police Cameras at North High
- $73 Million North High has 31% Dropout Rate
- TIMELINE: GoLocal’s Coverage of North High Incidents
- North High’s 4th Bomb Threat of Year Has Students Demanding More Security
- 599 Students Absent at North High School on Friday
- O’Connell Calls For ‘Listening Session’ on North High Issues