Warren Questions Suitability of Health & Human Services Secretary Designate
Wednesday, January 18, 2017
The concerns follow Price’s efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act and cut Medicare and Medicaid, his opposition to improving women’s health care coverage and protecting the LGBTQ community’s access to health services.
"After reviewing your record, I am not convinced that you are willing or able to handle the agency's responsibilities. I am also not convinced that your policies and views as HHS Secretary would benefit the Commonwealth of Massachusetts,” wrote Warren.
Warren sighted concerns with eight issues including conflicts of interest, the Affordable Care Act, Medicare and Medicaid, health care for women, health care for the LGBTQ community, the importance of science in health policy, halting the opioid epidemic, and funding for biomedical research.
"The HHS Secretary is responsible for programs that provide high quality, accessible, and affordable healthcare to millions of Americans. The Department sets basic standards for health care coverage under the Affordable Care Act, pays for billions of dollars-worth of medical procedures and pharmaceuticals via the Medicare and Medicaid programs, enforces regulations covering everything from food, drug, and medical device safety to nursing home quality, runs the nation's premier medical research institutions, and is responsible for day-to-day public health promotion and for responding to urgent health care emergencies in the U.S. and abroad. It is critical that the HHS Secretary understand the importance of these programs and implement and enforce them effectively and efficiently, without ideological or partisan bias,” wrote Warren.
The letter consisted of 53 questions for Rep. Price and asked that he come prepared to answer them at the hearing and provide detailed written answers after.
This letter follows oversight letters to Department of Education Secretary-Designate Betsy DeVos and Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Secretary-Designate, Dr. Ben Carson.
Senator Warren’s Blistering Letter to Trump
- Warren, Brown Ask Treasury to Investigate Involvement of U.S. Entities With Panama Based Law Firm
- Sen. Warren Questions Ex Fed Regulator Played Role in ‘08 Financial Crisis
- Oregon’s Merkley is 1st Senator to Endorse Bernie Sanders - Where is Sen. Warren?
- Senator Warren Meets with Obama’s Supreme Court Nominee Merrick Garland
- Warren Sees 54 Economists & Professors Support her Tax Legislation
- Sen. Warren Calls on SEC to Investigate Financial Service Providers
- Senator Warren Ducks Nearly All Political Questions in National TV Interview
- Warren - Constitution Threatened if Obama Doesn’t Nominate New Justice
- Shrewsbury’s Warren Ferguson Named Community Clinician of Year
- Senator Elizabeth Warren to Speak at Clark U. on March 14
- Sen. Warren Praises Merrick Garland, Looks Forward to Voting
- Cong McGovern and Sen Warren Praise Collapse of Kinder Morgan’s Pipeline Plan
- MA Senator Elizabeth Warren to Endorse Hillary Clinton
- Sen. Warren Addresses Election of Donald Trump to AFL-CIO
- Bob Whitcomb’s Digital Diary: Trump and Clinton, Raimondo’s CA Developer, and Warren’s Greatness
- Senator Warren Sends Blistering Letter to Trump’s Transition Team
- Sen. Warren Asks Government Accountability Office to Review Trump’s Transition
- Sen. Warren to Serve on Armed Services Committee in 115th Congress
- Tom Petty Biographer Warren Zanes to Host Talk at Clark University
- Sen. Warren to Wells Fargo CEO Stumpf “You Should Resign”
- Clinton’s Wall Street Donors Are Blocking Warren for Vice President
- Warren for VP? Clinton Beware as Massachusetts is Presidential Ticket Loser Land
- Sen. Warren & Others Urge U.S. Dept. of Education to Reform Federal Student Loan Servicing
- Warren, Markey & other Senators Express Serious Concerns About Mylan’s Price Hike on EpiPens
- Warren, Dem. Senators Call for Mnuchin Hearing to Include Outside Witnesses