Warren Seeks Info on Water & Vector-Borne Diseases in Puerto Rico & Virgin Islands
Wednesday, November 08, 2017
The letter expresses concern that due to the significant damage caused by Hurricanes Irma and Maria to the islands' sanitation infrastructure, residents are at serious risk of contracting waterborne diseases such as leptospirosis, which has reportedly been diagnosed in people in both Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
The group also warned of the threat of vector-borne diseases such as Zika, which is transmitted to humans through mosquitoes.
The Senators requested the following information:
- Lists of all water- and vector-borne diseases confirmed present in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands post-Hurricane Maria and how many cases the CDC has confirmed for each disease.
- Steps the CDC is taking to support territorial agencies such as the Puerto Rico Department of Health and the U.S. Virgin Islands Department of Health in their efforts to test for and diagnose illnesses in the wake of Hurricane Maria.
- The biggest public health challenges facing Puerto Rico in the wake of the hurricanes and what the CDC is doing to help assist with preventing further suffering.
- What resources the CDC needs from Congress in order to swiftly meet the public health needs of the islands' residents.
- How the status of water- and vector-borne diseases on Puerto Rico compares with that on the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Others Included in Letter
Senators Patty Murray (D-Wash.), Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), Bill Nelson (D-Fla.), Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.), Cory Booker (D-N.J.), Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), and Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii).
Senator Warren’s Blistering Letter to Trump
- Warren Launches Survey of MA Treatment Facilities
- Warren Releases Report Detailing Labor Violations by Federal Contractors
- Warren Questions Labor Secretary Nominee Acosta Before Confirmation Hearing
- Government Accountability Office Begins Investigation into Mar-a-Lago at Request of Sen. Warren
- Devine to Run for U.S. Senate Seat Against Warren
- Warren Buffett Says Only 2-3 Newspapers Will Survive
- Sen. Warren, Baldwin Seek Information on Goldman Sachs’ role in Trump’s Economic Policies
- Senator Elizabeth Warren Calls DeVos “Unqualified and Dangerous”
- Trump Nominates Gorsuch for Associate Justice of Supreme Court, Warren Announces Opposition
- Warren Issues Report on Financial Adviser Conflict-of-Interest Rule Threatened by Trump
- Warren Names Baker National Security Advisor for Washington DC Office
- Warren Helps Drive New Funding for Opioid Epidemic, Medical Research Government Spending
- Warren Questions Ethics Office About White House Ethics Officer’s Conflicts of Interest
- Ginnie Mae Creates Lender Abuse Task Force Following Letter From Warren
- Warren Discuses DACA, Urges Passage of Dream Act
- Sen. Warren Expands Investigation Into Equifax Breach
- Warren Urges Trump to Step Up Disaster Relief Efforts for Puerto Rican Islands of Vieques & Culebra
- Warren Asks Former Equifax CEO Smith if Breach Created Business Opportunities
- Diehl Launches Facebook, Twitter Pages to Track Sen. Warren
- Warren, Markey Send Letter to White House Demanding Clarity on Bannon’s Compliance With Ethics Laws
- Sen. Warren Calls Republican Healthcare Bill a “Monstrosity”
- Warren Calls New Republican Healthcare Bill “Worst One Yet”
- Warren Gives Trump Failing Grade in “Drain the Swamp” Report Card
- Warren Issues Statements Opposing Trump’s Nominees for Dept. of Labor, Education
- Warren Visits General Dynamics Facility, Views Battlefield Communications Demonstration