Warren Urges Trump to Step Up Disaster Relief Efforts for Puerto Rican Islands of Vieques & Culebra
Wednesday, October 04, 2017
In a letter to Trump, Warren cites the remoteness of the islands and reports that residents have been "without running water, power, gasoline or communications for more than a week.”
"The residents of Vieques and Culebra are U.S. citizens, and no fellow citizen should be left ‘clamoring for help. They need help now, and we urge that you provide them with sufficient aid and assistance without further delay,” said Warren in the letter.
The letter also expresses concern about the superfund site on Vieques and the possible health risks posed by the heavy metals and toxic chemicals left on the island following decades of military exercises by the U.S. Navy.
"We share the concern of residents that the hazardous waste may further contaminate the island and water supplies, and ultimately threaten the health of local residents. Additionally, the superfund site contains unexploded bombs and live ammunition that could be washed into the sea, posing long-term health and safety risks,” wrote Warren.
Other Senators Join in
Senators Bob Menendez (D-N.J.), Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), Tom Carper (D-Del.), Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.), Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Maggie Hassan (D-N.H.), Cory Booker (D-N.J.), Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii), Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) and Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.) also joined the letter to President Trump.
- Sen. Warren, Baldwin Seek Information on Goldman Sachs’ role in Trump’s Economic Policies
- Warren Names Baker National Security Advisor for Washington DC Office
- Warren Buffett Says Only 2-3 Newspapers Will Survive
- Warren Releases Report Detailing Labor Violations by Federal Contractors
- Warren Launches Survey of MA Treatment Facilities
- Warren Issues Report on Financial Adviser Conflict-of-Interest Rule Threatened by Trump
- Trump Nominates Gorsuch for Associate Justice of Supreme Court, Warren Announces Opposition
- Warren Questions Suitability of Health & Human Services Secretary Designate
- Senators Warren, Toomey Place Bet on AFC Championship Game
- Sen. Warren is “Deeply Concerned About What is to Come” in Puzder Confirmation Hearing
- Senator Elizabeth Warren Calls DeVos “Unqualified and Dangerous”
- Warren Questions Labor Secretary Nominee Acosta Before Confirmation Hearing
- Government Accountability Office Begins Investigation into Mar-a-Lago at Request of Sen. Warren
- Diehl Launches Facebook, Twitter Pages to Track Sen. Warren
- Warren Gives Trump Failing Grade in “Drain the Swamp” Report Card
- Warren Visits General Dynamics Facility, Views Battlefield Communications Demonstration
- Warren Discuses DACA, Urges Passage of Dream Act
- Ginnie Mae Creates Lender Abuse Task Force Following Letter From Warren
- Warren Calls New Republican Healthcare Bill “Worst One Yet”
- Sen. Warren Calls Republican Healthcare Bill a “Monstrosity”
- Devine to Run for U.S. Senate Seat Against Warren
- Warren Helps Drive New Funding for Opioid Epidemic, Medical Research Government Spending
- Warren Questions Ethics Office About White House Ethics Officer’s Conflicts of Interest
- Warren, Markey Send Letter to White House Demanding Clarity on Bannon’s Compliance With Ethics Laws
- Sen. Warren Expands Investigation Into Equifax Breach