Woman Arrested for OUI Following Serious Car Accident on Cambridge St.
Tuesday, August 15, 2017
Carmen Chavez, 41 of Lynn was charged with Operating Under the Influence Resulting in Serious Injury, Failure to Yield to Pedestrian in the Roadway and Negligent Operation of a Motor Vehicle.
On Sunday, August 13 at about 4:20 p.m., police were sent to 121 Cambridge St for a report of a pedestrian accident. Upon arrival officers located the victim, a 45-year-old Worcester man, lying in the roadway.
The victim was breathing, but appeared to have suffered serious injuries to his legs, arms, and head. Officers rendered medical aid until EMS arrived and transported to the victim to the hospital.
Traffic was diverted from Cambridge St while the Crash Reconstruction Unit investigated.
The initial assessment of the crash revealed that the victim was walking west down Cambridge St. He paused at the curb and attempted to cross north when he was struck by a 2017 Subaru Outback being operated by Chavez. Chavez stopped momentarily and then proceeded into a parking lot. She exited her car and threw something under the car that were parked in the lot. The items were later identified as two 1 oz. nips of whiskey.
An officer spoke with Chavez, and immediately noticed that Chavez's eyes were bloodshot, glassy, and watery.
When she spoke the officer could detect a moderate smell of an alcoholic beverage coming from her. After initially denying it, Chavez eventually admitted that she had been drinking “a little.”
The officer administered field sobriety tests, which were failed by Chavez. She was placed under arrest for Operating Under the Influence Resulting in Serious Injury, Failure to Yield to Pedestrian in the Roadway and Negligent Operation of a Motor Vehicle. The incident was captured on the camera system of a local business. Ms. Chavez will be arraigned in Worcester District Court today.
- 5 Worcester Police Officers to be Promoted in Ceremony on Friday
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit Tuesday
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Involved in Robbery of CVS
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Two Credit Card Skimmer Suspects
- Worcester Police to Step Up Efforts to Prohibit Alcohol Sales to Minors
- Worcester Police Make Arrest Connected to Constitution Ave Stabbing
- 17-Year-Old Steals Truck and Drags Owner on Wild Chase with Worcester Police
- Cambridge St Honey Farms Robbed - Worcester Police in Search of Suspect
- Worcester Police Offer Alcohol Training to Local Bars, Restaurants
- Worcester Man Arrested for Drunk Driving After Hitting Worcester Police Car
- Worcester Police Promote 7 New Sergeants
- Worcester Police to Launch Mounted Patrol Unit
- Worcester Police Arrest Two for Trafficking Drugs Near Lincoln Plaza
- Two Arrested After Worcester Police Find Remains of Newborn Baby on Lake Ave
- Worcester Police Arrest Man That Robbed Honey Farms With Syringe
- Worcester Police Offer Holiday Safety Tips for Shoppers
- Worcester Police to Promote two Officers During Ceremony on Friday
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Grafton Street Walgreens
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Attempted to Break Into Muslim School - Alhuda Academy
- Worcester Police to Swear in 8 New Officers on Friday
- Worcester Police to Honor Memory of 15 Officers During Ceremony on Sunday
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Suspect in Metro PCS Armed Robbery
- Worcester Police Department Recognized With Above & Beyond Award