Women’s Initiative of United Way Names New Leadership
Thursday, January 19, 2017
Leah Lamson, is currently the managing director of the New England High School Journalism Collaborative and former editor of Worcester Telegram & Gazette. She spent 36 years at the T&G, starting as a reporter and working her way up to being named the first woman to serve as editor at the newspaper.
Lamson, is a founding member of the Women’s Initiative and a member of the United Way of Central Massachusetts Governance Committee. Through her extensive career as a journalist, Lamson has the ability to lead effectively, based on skills that motivate, enthuse and build respect.
She will take over for Elaine Wright, who recently retired as vice president of business services at Webster Five.
Kerry Melley, of Worcester, is a financial advisor with Commonwealth Financial Group, will become vice chair. Before her career in financial services, she was a development professional for the Boston Symphony Orchestra and the Eastman School of Music, working in the areas of strategic planning and relationship management.
Melley is the current vice chair of the Membership Committee. Melley is passionate about helping women grow and preserve their wealth, while building their confidence in planning and managing their financial lives.
The mission of the Women’s Initiative is to begin positive change for girls through philanthropy and women’s leadership. The Women’s Initiative is a volunteer-based women’s group whose vision is to be the premier women’s philanthropic and leadership group in Central Massachusetts funding programs that improve the lives of girls.
Related Slideshow: United Way of Central MA Program Grants
Community Healthlink, Inc.
Programs: Medical and Emergency Respite, Support for Success: School Based Mental Health Services, and Together For Kids
Grant Awards: $47,000, $73,000, and $80,000
- United Way Women’s Initiative To Host Soles4Souls Event in Worcester
- United Way Women’s Initiative Hosts Stepping Up For Girls Sept. 18
- United Way of Central MA Awards Nearly $50K in Fuller Grants
- United Way of Central MA Unveils 2013 Holiday Wish List
- NEW: James Leary Announced as United Way’s Chair-Elect
- Central MA Up + Comer: United Way’s Heidi Charlebois
- United Way Seeks Proposals For Live United Campaign Programs
- United Way Awards Nearly $300K To Central Massachusetts Girls
- Shrewsbury Girls Learning to Be $cholars Thanks to United Way
- United Way of Central Mass to Hold Annual Celebration
- United Way of Central Mass Announces Campaign Co-Chairs
- United Way of Central MA Announces Free Tax Preparation
- United Way of Central MA Seeks Nominations for Volunteer Award
- United Way Women’s Initiative Announces New Leadership
- United Way Hires Assumption Grad as New Community Relationships Manager
- United Way of Central MA Names 2015-16 Campaign Co-Chairs
- United Way of Central Mass to Hold Annual Celebration on May 4
- United Way of Central MA Awards $260K to 11 Programs Impacting Middle School Girls
- United Way to Donate $5.4 Million to Central Mass Community This Year
- United Way of Central Mass Needs Volunteers
- United Way of Central Massachusetts Announces Tri-Chairs for 2014-2015 Campaign
- United Way of Central Massachusetts Announces Day of Caring 2014
- United Way of Central Massachusetts Announces Opening of Annual Grant Cycle
- National Grid Donates $155,000 to United Way to Help With Fuel Costs
- United Way of Central MA Hosts Stepping Up for Girls September 22