Worcester Homeowner Shoots Suspicious Man During Fight Outside Home
Tuesday, May 01, 2018
The man that was shot was identified by police as Zackery Bailey, 29, of Lovell Street.
Bailey had an outstanding warrant for his arrest for breaking and entering. He was arrested by Worcester police while at the hospital getting treatment.
He could face further charges.
The homeowner, who owns a gun license, was interviewed by police and also treated for minor injuries.
On Sunday, April 29, at approximately 12:47 a.m., Worcester Police responded to a Second Street address for a report of shots fired outside. Upon the officers arrival they met with the 56-year-old male homeowner.
Officers were told by the homeowner that he was inside his home when he saw a man, dressed in all black clothing, wearing a dark-colored backpack, on a bike and checking a car door that was parked on the street. The homeowner believed that the man was attempting to break into the car. The homeowner now saw the man walk into his yard and continue to the side of his house and then out of sight.
At this time the homeowner took possession of his handgun and went outside to see what this suspicious man was doing. The homeowner encountered the man in his side yard and asked what he was doing on his property. The homeowner attempted to escort the man off of his property.
While escorting the man towards the street the suspicious man began to physically fight with the homeowner. The man began to push the homeowner and fight him. Neighbors witnessing the altercation heard the man threaten to shoot the homeowner and began to reach towards his back waistband.
At this time the homeowner fired several rounds at the man. The man was hit and ran from the scene.
At approximately 1:30 a.m., Worcester Police were sent to nearby Washington Heights for a man calling in stating that he had just been shot. Police arrived and met with Bailey.
He was treated at the scene by Worcester EMS for two gunshot wounds. Both injuries are non-life threatening. Bailey was transported to a nearby hospital for further treatment.
While at the hospital, officers saw that Bailey had an outstanding arrest warrant in effect for Breaking and Entering. Bailey was placed under arrest for the warrant.
Bailey is expected to be released and then transported back to police headquarters.
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Grafton Street Walgreens
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Suspect in Metro PCS Armed Robbery
- Worcester Police to Promote two Officers During Ceremony on Friday
- Worcester Police Arrest Two for Trafficking Drugs Near Lincoln Plaza
- Worcester Police to Launch Mounted Patrol Unit
- Worcester Police to Honor Memory of 15 Officers During Ceremony on Sunday
- Worcester Police to Swear in 8 New Officers on Friday
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Two Credit Card Skimmer Suspects
- Worcester Man Arrested for Drunk Driving After Hitting Worcester Police Car
- Worcester Police Promote 7 New Sergeants
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Attempted to Break Into Muslim School - Alhuda Academy
- Two Arrested After Worcester Police Find Remains of Newborn Baby on Lake Ave
- Worcester Police Arrest Man That Robbed Honey Farms With Syringe
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Paulino’s Market Armed With Gun
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Country Bank
- Worcester Police in Search of 2nd Suspect Following Armed Robbery on Belmont St.
- Worcester Police in Search of Suspect Involved in Carjacking in Upland Gardens
- Woman Arrested for OUI After Crashing Into Parked Worcester Police Cruiser
- Wal-Mart Shoplifter Steals Worcester Police Officer’s Pepper Spray, Tries to Spray Him
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Sally Beauty Supply
- Worcester Police Department Recognized With Above & Beyond Award
- Worcester Police Department to Promote 5 During Ceremony
- Worcester Police Offer Tips for Halloween Safety
- Worcester Police Investigating Shooting on Suffield Street