Worcester Man Arrested After Mistreating a Police Horse During Latin Festival
Tuesday, August 22, 2017
David Pagan, 59, was charged with two counts of assault and battery on a police officer, resisting arrest, and mistreatment/interfering with a police horse.
On Saturday, August 19 at approximately 6:10 p.m., three members of the WPD horseback mounted patrol unit were in the downtown area during the Latin festival. At this time the WPD mounted unit along with three members of the Massachusetts State Police mounted unit responded to a disturbance at the beer tent located in the rear of Worcester Common on Front Street. As the mounted unit arrived, the disturbance had ceased and the participants had left the area.
At this time the mounted unit was walking side by side in a column. A man, later identified as Pagan, was seen walking towards the middle of the column of horses. As the man closed in, one of the mounted officers asked the man to not walk in-between the horses. The man was asked to walk to the side of the horses.
He refused the officers request.
The officer asked several more times and explained to step aside for his safety.
The man refused again and continued to close in on the column.
He continued to ignore all requests and walked in the middle of the horses.
Pagan deliberately placed his shoulder into the chest of one of the horses. The mounted officer reached down, grabbed the collar of Pagan’s shirt and threw him out in front of the horses.
Pagan stepped to the side of the horse and got into an aggressive posture by quickly raising his fist in an attempt to punch the horse in the face. The horse instinctively jumped back and away from the male which caused a hazard to Pagan, the officer and to the horse. The man was then placed under arrest.
As officers attempted to place Pagan in handcuffs he began to resist and refused the officers commands to comply. After a brief struggle Pagan was secured.
While waiting for the patrol car to arrive for transport back to police headquarters, Pagan began to yell profanities at the officers and created a disturbance to the people at the festival.
Pagan refused to walk towards the patrol wagon. Officers sat Pagan down. At this time Pagan began to kick two officers’ that were next to him.
- 5 Worcester Police Officers to be Promoted in Ceremony on Friday
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit Tuesday
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Involved in Robbery of CVS
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Two Credit Card Skimmer Suspects
- Worcester Police to Step Up Efforts to Prohibit Alcohol Sales to Minors
- Worcester Police Make Arrest Connected to Constitution Ave Stabbing
- 17-Year-Old Steals Truck and Drags Owner on Wild Chase with Worcester Police
- Cambridge St Honey Farms Robbed - Worcester Police in Search of Suspect
- Worcester Police Offer Holiday Safety Tips for Shoppers
- Worcester Police Offer Alcohol Training to Local Bars, Restaurants
- Worcester Man Arrested for Drunk Driving After Hitting Worcester Police Car
- Worcester Police Promote 7 New Sergeants
- Worcester Police to Launch Mounted Patrol Unit
- Worcester Police Arrest Two for Trafficking Drugs Near Lincoln Plaza
- Two Arrested After Worcester Police Find Remains of Newborn Baby on Lake Ave
- Worcester Police Arrest Man That Robbed Honey Farms With Syringe
- Worcester Police to Promote two Officers During Ceremony on Friday
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Grafton Street Walgreens
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Attempted to Break Into Muslim School - Alhuda Academy
- Worcester Police to Swear in 8 New Officers on Friday
- Worcester Police to Honor Memory of 15 Officers During Ceremony on Sunday
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Suspect in Metro PCS Armed Robbery
- Worcester Police Department Recognized With Above & Beyond Award