Worcester Man Arrested for Drunk Driving After Hitting Worcester Police Car
Saturday, April 01, 2017
Michael Nutgall, 27, is being charged with operating under the influence (Second Offense), operating to endanger, and a red light violation.
The officer was taken to the hospital and treated for minor injuries.
On Friday, March 31, at approximately 1:00 a.m., a Worcester Police officer notified dispatch that his car had just been hit by another car at the intersection of Pleasant and Irving Streets and requested assistance to his location. Assisting officers arrived and helped in securing the scene as paramedics arrived to evaluate the officer. The Worcester officer was treated on scene and transported to a local hospital for minor injuries that resulted from the deployment of his airbag.
Once the officer was treated, Worcester Police spoke with the driver of the second car (identified as Michael Nuttall, 27 years old of Worcester).
While speaking with Nuttal, officers detected a strong odor of alcoholic beverage coming from him. Nuttall agreed to perform a series of field sobriety tests, which he failed. He also completed a portable breath test, which measured his blood alcohol level at over twice the legal limit.
Based on the investigation, Nuttall was placed under arrest at the scene.
The initial investigation showed that the officer was travelling East on Pleasant Street through the intersection of Pleasant and Linden Streets. At the same time, the Nuttal’s was driving South on Linden Street and proceeded through the red light at the intersection of Pleasant Street without stopping, striking the Worcester police officer’s cruiser. Both cars sustained heavy damage and both air bags were deployed.
Worcester Police Crime Scene Unit also responded to document the scene. Nuttal was not injured during the accident
- Worcester Police Officer Attacked, Man Tries to “Gouge Out His Eye”
- Worcester Police to Take Part in National Night Out on Tuesday
- 18-Year-Old Shot at Latin Festival, Says Worcester Police
- Victim in Hamilton Street Shooting Identified by Worcester Police
- Worcester Police to Promote 6 Officers in Ceremony at City Hall
- Worcester Police Officer Stabbed in Face During Fight
- Worcester Police Officer Stabbed in the Face in the Line-of-Duty
- Worcester Police Arrest 8 During Undercover Prostitution Sting
- Worcester Police Investigating Euclid Ave Fight That Led to Stabbing of 2 Men
- Man Refuses to Cooperate With Worcester Police After Being Stabbed
- 16-Year-Old Boy Shot Multiple Times, Worcester Police in Search of Suspects
- Crime Spree — Three Armed Robberies Linked Say Worcester Police
- Worcester Police Make Cocaine Drug Bust
- 5 Worcester Police Officers to be Promoted in Ceremony on Friday
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit Tuesday
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Involved in Robbery of CVS
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Two Credit Card Skimmer Suspects
- Worcester Police to Step Up Efforts to Prohibit Alcohol Sales to Minors
- Worcester Police Make Arrest Connected to Constitution Ave Stabbing
- 17-Year-Old Steals Truck and Drags Owner on Wild Chase with Worcester Police
- Cambridge St Honey Farms Robbed - Worcester Police in Search of Suspect
- Worcester Police Offer Holiday Safety Tips for Shoppers
- Worcester Police Offer Alcohol Training to Local Bars, Restaurants
- Worcester Police Promote 7 New Sergeants