Worcester Man Charged With Murder of Vanessa Marcotte
Sunday, April 16, 2017
Angelo Colon-Ortiz was arrested on Friday by State Police Detectives and charged with aggravated assault and battery and assault with attempt to rape. Early added that he expects more charges to be added.
“We got him,” Early said during a press conference on Saturday to announce that the DNA of Colon-Ortiz had matched the samples found on the hands of Marcotte.
Colon-Ortiz is being held on $10 million bail and will be arraigned Tuesday in Leominster District Court.
Marcotte, 27, had worked for Google in New York City. She was in Princeton visiting her family last August. She had been out for a walk the afternoon of August 7 and was reported missing when she did not return
Investigators received more than 1,300 tips from the public, but the break in the case came when an alert trooper with the State Police Detective Unit assigned to the Worcester County District Attorney's office recently spotted a dark SUV in Worcester driven by a man matching a description of the suspect. Not finding a piece of paper, the trooper wrote the license plate number down on his hand and followed up.
He later went to the suspect’s home and where suspect provided the DNA that led to the match.
- Victim in Hamilton Street Shooting Identified by Worcester Police
- 18-Year-Old Shot at Latin Festival, Says Worcester Police
- Worcester Police to Promote 6 Officers in Ceremony at City Hall
- Crime Spree — Three Armed Robberies Linked Say Worcester Police
- Worcester Police Make Cocaine Drug Bust
- Worcester Police Officer Attacked, Man Tries to “Gouge Out His Eye”
- Worcester Police to Take Part in National Night Out on Tuesday
- Man Refuses to Cooperate With Worcester Police After Being Stabbed
- 16-Year-Old Boy Shot Multiple Times, Worcester Police in Search of Suspects
- Worcester Police Officer Stabbed in the Face in the Line-of-Duty
- Worcester Police Officer Stabbed in Face During Fight
- 17-Year-Old Steals Truck and Drags Owner on Wild Chase with Worcester Police
- Cambridge St Honey Farms Robbed - Worcester Police in Search of Suspect
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Involved in Robbery of CVS
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit Tuesday
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Two Credit Card Skimmer Suspects
- Worcester Man Arrested for Drunk Driving After Hitting Worcester Police Car
- Worcester Police Promote 7 New Sergeants
- 5 Worcester Police Officers to be Promoted in Ceremony on Friday
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit
- Worcester Police Offer Holiday Safety Tips for Shoppers
- Worcester Police Offer Alcohol Training to Local Bars, Restaurants
- Worcester Police Make Arrest Connected to Constitution Ave Stabbing
- Worcester Police to Step Up Efforts to Prohibit Alcohol Sales to Minors
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Attempted to Break Into Muslim School - Alhuda Academy