Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Two Credit Card Skimmer Suspects
Thursday, March 23, 2017
A skimmer is a device that’s installed over the card slot at a payment card reader. It is designed to look like a normal part of the machine, but it will record information from the magnetic strip on your credit card or debit card when you swipe.
On March 9, at approximately 7:53 p.m. Worcester Police were sent to the Stop & Shop located at 541 Lincoln Street for a report of Fraud. Officers spoke with an employee at the store who told them that a credit/debit card “skimmer” had been recovered from one of the registers.
The skimmer was discovered when a customer in the self-checkout aisle attempted to swipe a debit card through the card reader. The skimmer fell from the surface of the key pad.
During the investigation police reviewed surveillance video and observed two suspects installing the skimmer on February 27. The suspects were also captured on surveillance video two days prior pulling off the rubber policy shield that surrounds the authentic Stop and Shop credit/debit card reader in the same checkout aisle.
Customers are advised to check their bank statements for possible fraudulent transactions.
Police are asking anyone with information about this incident to send an anonymous text to 274637 TIPWPD + your message or send an anonymous web based message by clicking here.
- Worcester Police Officer Stabbed in Face During Fight
- Worcester Police Officer Stabbed in the Face in the Line-of-Duty
- Worcester Police to Take Part in National Night Out on Tuesday
- Worcester Police Officer Attacked, Man Tries to “Gouge Out His Eye”
- 18-Year-Old Shot at Latin Festival, Says Worcester Police
- 16-Year-Old Boy Shot Multiple Times, Worcester Police in Search of Suspects
- Man Refuses to Cooperate With Worcester Police After Being Stabbed
- Worcester Police Searching for Suspects After Shots Were Fired on Freemont St
- Male Victim Suffering from Stab Wound Refuses to Cooperate with Worcester Police
- Worcester Police Arrest 8 During Undercover Prostitution Sting
- Worcester Police Investigating Euclid Ave Fight That Led to Stabbing of 2 Men
- Victim in Hamilton Street Shooting Identified by Worcester Police
- Worcester Police to Promote 6 Officers in Ceremony at City Hall
- Worcester Police to Step Up Efforts to Prohibit Alcohol Sales to Minors
- Worcester Police Make Arrest Connected to Constitution Ave Stabbing
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit
- 5 Worcester Police Officers to be Promoted in Ceremony on Friday
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit Tuesday
- Worcester Police Offer Alcohol Training to Local Bars, Restaurants
- Worcester Police Offer Holiday Safety Tips for Shoppers
- Crime Spree — Three Armed Robberies Linked Say Worcester Police
- Worcester Police Make Cocaine Drug Bust
- 17-Year-Old Steals Truck and Drags Owner on Wild Chase with Worcester Police
- Cambridge St Honey Farms Robbed - Worcester Police in Search of Suspect
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Involved in Robbery of CVS